10.6.0 and low latency mode out of sync?

hmowday

Dunno if its always been there or a recent issue wth 10.6. I certainly do not recall this as a previous problem.

I've pulled up an old session as I have to extend the track for a client. The session had quite a few plugins running and plays perfectly.

When recording MIDI data I would normally hit the "Low Latency" toggle to play back synths with a more playable latency. When recording all is fine, but when playing back its a GREAT deal delayed. (By an 8th note = bpm 115) !!

I"m pretty confident this never happened before. When in lower latency mode obviously some of the plugins didn't work but the whole point was so as to record or playback tracks with minimal latency and in time. It would record those midi parts in the proper time.

This however is quite off.

Anyone experiencing this?

I always run my sessions with a buffer either of 64 or 128

Hi, I updated to 10.6 yesterday and the project I was working on, (which had been to date just midi) I wanted to record some guitar and bounced down some midi with plug ins to allow me to drop I/O buffer to 128 and things got weird! Sometimes normal playback not recording was in sync, but also sometimes out of sync stopping me practising before recording, but without fail every time I pushed record it was impossible as the latency was too far out!

I tried turning off all the plug ins on other tracks I was using but still the same issue.

The only workaround I have had so far is I had to bounce down the whole project to MP3 then open a brand new project and drop the MP3 into an audio track and record guitar to that, which so far has been fine. Tried again today on the original projects and no change, the lag in latency is still evident.

So not my audio settings which are 128 I/O, delay @ 0 samples, Processing - auto, medium buffer range (I did try swapping this to higher but no effect so left at medium), playback & live tracks, summing - high 64bit Re-wire = live mode. The only thing I ever change is I/O depending on what I am doing.

This a 10.6 bug ? Using Catalina 10:15:7 until 3rd part plug in vendors can support the new OS.

Cheers

Tony

i experienced that on 10.5 twice.

i couldn't replicate it :/

This seems to work very weirdly.

Empty project.

Put 4 linear phase EQs on Stereo Out, and record MIDI for some simple software synth/drum or something similar.

At 120 BPM you have around 1/8th latency.

The recorded MIDI notes get placed properly and are compensated for the latency.

Turn on Low Latency Mode, and the armed soft synth bypasses the Stereo Out plugins, and you get minimal latency. Recorded MIDI notes again get placed somewhat properly.

Move the latency inducing linear phase EQs from Stereo Out to the armed soft synth/drum track. Repeat test. No matter what the Software Monitoring or Low Latency Mode setting is, MIDI notes get placed at positions when the key was pressed (or MIDI received), not when the sound generated by the MIDI was heard.

With low buffer size and Low Latency Mode the results are tolerable, but still they're not accurate.

That seems to be the same sort of experience I’m having. I’ll try and replicate it on some other sessions too. Unfortunately just too busy. Is there a way to get logic 10.5 again if I hadn’t backed up the application?

This has been the case from at least Logic Pro 10.2 or something.

This version is the only time I’ve noticed it. Well certainly on my system

Just tested with Logic Pro X 10.4 also. Same behaviour/bug is present, so downgrading to 10.5 wont probably help. I happen to have this version still installed in my live rig laptop, which is when I ran into this, and switched to Ableton for projects, where external MIDI gear and their audio has to be in sync with DAW project and latency inducing plugins are in use. But now this is also becoming more frequent in studio work, where mixed setups like drum kits with MIDI pads and/or MIDI sync to DAW is used. Only possible workaround so far with Logic is to separate latency inducing plugins into their own downstream buses in signalchain, and not to use Low Latency Mode. If extensive monitoring is needed, have to use separate hardware near zero latency digital mixer console for this. And if in this situation musicians in recording room need click, backing tracks or MIDI sync, this has to be manually and separately created and time adjusted in Logic, so that the engineer in control room hears the performance in sync with Logic click/backing tracks, and recording gets placed properly.

• 7 months later...
Ive had this issue just recently too! with the newest logic pro x. I enable low latency mode and play back is late considerably after taking low latency y off after recording midi in. Doesn't make sense. Low buffer too. I have a specced out 2019 matchbook pro 64 gb ram i9 etc...Whats up with this?! I don't want to have to go to ableton!

If you have plugins with latency on the masterbus/anywhere in the signal path, disabling them will still cause latency.

Low Latency mode generally just disables plugins that have more than X amount of latency, if you have only 0 latency plugins while tracking, low-latency mode does nothing, it's not a special mode.

disable plugins when you track and be careful which plugins you use.

ableton has longer round-trip than logic at same buffers iirc...

So actually what happens in LLM is that plugins with more latency then X are disabled entirely which does eliminate both their effect and their latency temporarily.

This may not effect instrument plugins at all since disabling an instrument plugin to record it is not a useful mode.

LLM may or may not disable master bus plugins, I am not sure. I try to avoid having any latent plugins on the master bus while recording parts.

Unfortunately if you disable any plugins manually without using LLM, the latent sound will be eliminated yes but logicpro continues to apply PDC correction for that disabled plugin. That results in hearing the sound without added delay but possibly would record midi/audio to the region early due to the fact logicpro is still applying PDC. I view that as a long-standing bug.

I usually don’t use LLM at all I just avoid latent plugins while tracking. The last time I checked LLM disabled both the dsp and the PDC of latent plugins when engaged but it’s possible that has changed.

Latent plugins on the master bus have been known to be problematic while tracking for years, just avoid it. And personally I prefer a workflow where I use non latent plugins everywhere while tracking.

It can also get murky if you have any aux channels with latent plugins.