Big Sur: Is it safe to update for Logic users?

Dupont

big sur? you might want to wait for people to report in. i had a terrible time (in an early beta), but that was some time ago. and will update soon (or, as soon as i'm ready for the possible trainwreck experience), and will report back.

9 of my plugins did not show up at all in that beta; i've been told the problem was fixed a beta or 2 ago, so.... we'll see. anyway, am going to see what others report for now.

i've been running big sur on my non-logic mac since the first beta, and it's been (mostly) great; it's great right now. so, for me, the only concern is whether those plugins will now show up. if they do, i'll move forward, and get back to work. if they don't... it's back to catalina.

u-he did fixes early in the beta cycle to accomodate the OS changes; but a couple of people report that errant plugins have all returned in a later beta.

for me... it's an adventure to undertake, and if i come thru it bloodied & bruised, will restore catalina (while i recuperate).

is it safe to update to big sure for logic users ?

While OS updates are generally less scary nowadays than they used to be in the past, I would never describe an OS update as 100% safe. There's always a risk involved. The risk depends highly on what software other than Logic you're using (drivers, 3rd party plug-ins etc..). If you're pretty much using only Logic, or you've double-checked that all the drivers/plug-ins you're using are compatible with Big Sur then you're good to go.

In a professional studio, the workflow I recommend for an OS upgrade is to set time apart to install the new OS on a new drive, then install Logic Pro X on the new drive, then install additional software as needed, incrementally, while running tests. The whole time you can continue doing your professional Logic work in the old OS on your current drive. Even after you've determined it's safe to start doing professional work on the new drive with the new OS, you keep your old drive with the old OS handy, should you realize that something you really need no longer works with the new OS.

i plunged on my laptop.

(Not all plugins from specific vendor!)

- 2C audio

- AAS

- accusonus

- Antares

- AudioSpillage

- Accentize

- BlackRooster

- Celemony Melodyne (v4)

- D16

- Eventide

- Fuse Audio

- FabFilter

- Pulsar

- SoundTheory

- Tone Projects

- Softube

- Voxengo

- U-he

- Wavesfactory

- zplane

- iZotope

- Plugin Alliance (officially confirmed anyway)

- Melda 14.10 (only MAutoPitch and MTransientMB fail validation - 14.11 might work)

RME confirmed works, so i'm wiping my Mini to Big Sur :D

I have received emails from Universal Audio, Antares, Native Instruments, EastWesr, Eventide, and Softtube saying “please wait.”

me too, but most of these (antares, softube, eventide) work anyway :D

In the past, when that is the case,they work but are erratic. When a developer says “don’t “ , I don’t.

me too, but most of these (antares, softube, eventide) work anyway :D

In the past, when that is the case,they work but are erratic. When a developer says “don’t “ , I don’t.

we've had this discussion. with every OS update and/or beta i've ever run, my plugins worked (early in catalina, there were sometimes workarounds to install). anyway, i'm diving (back) into big sur this weekend, and will see if my previously-missing-from-early-big sur plugins show up (or not).

but, lol, when i'm told not to do something (by, say, a developer or parent), that's usually my cue to, in fact, do that very thing.

thanks again ploki for diving in, and keeping us posted!

but, lol, when i'm told not to do something (by, say, a developer or parent), that's usually my cue to, in fact, do that very thing.

That's how I was too.....and then I turned 17. :)

ha ok. but some of us like to continue to live like that; taking chances doesn't have to mean being juvenile, it can be a desire to see what the outcome is. i live for those adventures.

I did my homework and checked my hard-and software, and I was convinced I could upgrade.

Then it turned out that Motu had falsely listed their MIDI Interfaces as compatible - they are not...

after a couple of mails back and forth, Motu has now changed their webpage. But to late for me unfortunately. I have a bricked MIDI interface, but everything else works fine.