Mono Tracks Not Panning

mckee_evan
Go to solution Solved by erreyonj,

Hey everyone,

New guy here.

I have spend the last 4 hours trying to get my tracks to pan, and reading through panning threads here and elsewhere, and after checking all possible issues others had mentioned, I feel like I am just going in circles. I really wanted to figure this out, as it must be something simple, but I'm losing my mind at this point.

I have never had this issue before in any other project. I am running an Audit ID 44, and I checked that the mono button isn't on. I checked audio settings on my mac...no issues there. Everything seems set right in my project. Mono tracks are simply not panning at all. I haven't changed any settings on anything. Restarted computer and interface just to be thorough.

Thank you for any advice. Hopefully one of you can give me a hand!!

THANKS!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there so the OP hasn't made their way back here yet, but I'm having a similar (I think) issue.

Some slight differences:

- My issue is when I pan hard right I get virtually no sound coming from my headphones (iMac > Scarlet 2i2 3rd Gen > Headphones)

- Although my fader peak meter is showing around -11 dB I'm actually hearing probably ~-60dB

- When I pan hard left there appears to either be slightly more volume or at least no difference at all

- The overall issue appears to be the case with Mono recorded guitar signal or a software instrument (See Ex's)

- Its harder to tell, but this occurs on the internal iMac speakers as well

I don't really know when this started as I just sort of randomly noticed it.

2041903324_ScreenShot2020-11-30at4_21_05PM.thumb.png.a8d695598a3682ce44f57bb1f1141908.png

349892761_ScreenShot2020-11-30at3_59_43PM.thumb.png.d5ce9f03ce7ecb2614f1473e6a61dce2.png

428033244_ScreenShot2020-11-30at3_59_58PM.thumb.png.fffbf5d5d01561267af2d6457e017447.png

20048301_ScreenShot2020-11-30at4_03_14PM.thumb.png.e2c5099978fcf346af904aba9de27e0e.png

933886511_ScreenShot2020-11-30at4_03_25PM.thumb.png.760317a818601b639d9558dac8fe8e82.png

700170107_ScreenShot2020-11-30at4_03_41PM.thumb.png.d9ddbb27544083f1757d273538bfb429.png

Any help is greatly appreciated and please let me know if there's any more info I can attach!

-erre

- My issue is when I pan hard right I get virtually no sound coming from my headphones (iMac > Scarlet 2i2 3rd Gen > Headphones)

- Although my fader peak meter is showing around -11 dB I'm actually hearing probably ~-60dB

- When I pan hard left there appears to either be slightly more volume or at least no difference at all

- The overall issue appears to be the case with Mono recorded guitar signal or a software instrument (See Ex's)

- Its harder to tell, but this occurs on the internal iMac speakers as well

We can see on your level meters that the peak level is exactly the same whether you pan hard left or hard right so the issue isn't coming from Logic.

If you have a mono source panned center and soloed in Logic, do you hear it coming from the center in your headphones? Can you check the Balance setting in your sound system preference?

• Solution

We can see on your level meters that the peak level is exactly the same whether you pan hard left or hard right so the issue isn't coming from Logic.

If you have a mono source panned center and soloed in Logic, do you hear it coming from the center in your headphones? Can you check the Balance setting in your sound system preference?

Well I figured it out. Quite embarrassed, but I'll post the fix anyway.

Into my Scarlet I was plugging in my Sony MDRs into a 1/4" adapter. Took that adapter with me for a gig and lost it. When I got home I just grabbed the first 1\4" adapter I could find to get begin working again and it was unbalanced. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

However, I only considered looking more into the Scarlet because you stated it couldn't be Logic. Appreciate the help all!!