Updating to Logic Pro 10.5.1 on Mojave

hammerpocket

I'm trying to help someone update Logic to version 10.5.1 from 10.4.6. Their computer is running Mojave, which can't run 10.6, so they can't figure out how to do it. When they click on 'update' in the app store, they just get an error saying macOS 10.15 is required. I thought that it would offer to update to the latest Mojave-compatible version, but it doesn't.

Does anyone know how to do this? I can't believe they just missed out on 10.5 after 10.6 so quickly followed. Is it possible that it doesn't offer 10.5.1 because their system is actually capable of running Catalina? (I don't know if that's the case or not.)

I would reach out to Apple Support to see (or maybe somebody here) has a fully qualified Apple Store link to LPX 10.5.

When Catalina came out, eventually Apple realized that a lot of SW and HW wasn't going to be Catalina compatible (for some time or ever) and support provided a fully qualified link to download the Mojave installer to downgrade those shiny new Macs people were buying.

When I moved to Catalina, I lost a lot of effects plugins and support for an older, but trusted, Digi 002R that I was using as a backup.

• 1 month later...

What worked for me on 10.4.6 Mojave:

1) Backup your current version of Logic Pro X as per Apple's instructions

2) Delete Logic Pro X from Applications and restart your mac

3) Open App Store and Click on your account name in the bottom left corner

4) Click on the download symbol next to Logic Pro and it'll give you the option to download the latest compatible version with your OS

It's pretty silly it doesn't work from the product page of Logic Pro. And also that it doesn't work unless you delete it AND restart (led to "purchase cancelled" etc for me before restart). I wonder if it has to do with the name change from Logic Pro X to Logic Pro.

Anyways hope this helps!

Thanks for this - I also want to update my logic from 10.4 to 10.5 - using Mojave. I did the above steps (removed Logic) an re-started - but when I go to logic to download - it asks if I want to downlaod a previous Logic but that error "purchase cancelled" pops up and won't let me download Logic 10.5.....any ideas?

Thanks for this - I also want to update my logic from 10.4 to 10.5 - using Mojave. I did the above steps (removed Logic) an re-started - but when I go to logic to download - it asks if I want to downlaod a previous Logic but that error "purchase cancelled" pops up and won't let me download Logic 10.5.....any ideas?

Ugh, of course it doesn't work for everyone the same way :( :). I would try logging out from app store and back in (maybe even log out, restart and then log back in). Oh and make sure you've quit app store and don't have "reopen windows" when restarting. If these don't help, i'd try to do the basic resets (nvram etc).

So I made a backup of the Logic 10.4.7 app because I took it off the computer. It was easy to re-install logic.

If someone has a backup of Logic 10.5 - this should also install no problems shouldn't it?

In that case - does someone maybe have a backup of Logic the 10.5 app? The I could install that on my Mojave OS?

Glad to hear you got it sorted! With basic resets i meant these: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Still for the app store problem this might be something to try: https://osxdaily.com/2016/10/08/mac-app-store-temp-cache-folder/

And to rule out possible macos user account problem, another user account could be created and see if the download would work with that.

• 5 months later...

Hey @adamjhoward, I know that this is an old thread but I've been trying to find a copy of version 10.5 (or 10.5.1) because the 10.6.2 update has created lots of problems in my existing projects. Apple support said they're not able to give me a previous version and suggested I reach out to others to see if they have a copy. Any chance that you still have a copy of 10.5?

Andrew Stonehome

• 2 months later...
Hi Andrew,

I do have a copy of 10.5.1 - Whats your email - I'll send you a link :)

Adam.

Do you mind sending me the link as well? I'm on 10.2.3 and My projects have gotten so big that I've had issues with audio regions going blank. Hopefully the most up-to-date version of Logic for Mojave will fix this issue.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi. I was researching this issue as I'm catching up on MacOS for my iMac. Thanks adamjhoward for the 10.5.1.! I realized that the last version that works for my iMac MacOS (the last one possible is Catalina) is 10.6. Except I"m stuck now and have the same problem that I can't download 10.6 from the App Store. It only has 10.7.

Will the same trick with backing up Logic Pro X 10.5.1 and reload from App store work to get 10.6? Alternatively, would anyone have a backup of 10.6 that they would be willing to share?

Thanks,

Ed

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I was able to archive 10.4.8 on Mojave-per the steps above-and then use my account in the App Store to download 10.5.1.....thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction. I have a Mini I use with older versions of things I'm never going to upgrade and (Arturia, Komplete, Ableton, Pro Tools) etc. so I'm in process of trying to update things to the last compatible version. 

• 6 months later...