Smart tempo issue

Trautman

Hi

I’m having some issues with smart tempo.

I’ve previously used flex time a lot, I have a workflow that is fairly long-winded, but I feel allows me to flex time in a fairly musical way- I only use slicing, as I find I can hear artifacts in other algorithms, and I go through my audio myself at length to make sure my transient markers are exactly where I want them. Then I quantize the audio, using a mixture of swing/q-swing, q-range, and q-strength to get what sounds natural/musical/grooving to my ears. Then I check for clicks and pops, adjusting transient markers where necessary to fix any problems.

This method has worked reliably for me for years now and it’s a massive part of how I work...

Until today- I just started work on the first project since updating to 10.4.8 where the drums were all tempo mapped. The drums were tempo mapped ages ago, before the logic update. I recorded my bass, and logic seems to want to squish it to the tempo map of the drums, completely destroying the groove and filling it with dreadful artifacts. I have tried removing the tempo info from the bass recording, and the squishing goes away, only to return as soon as I try and apply my own flex time with my own carefully considered transient markers. It won’t allow me to *just* quantize with my own transient markers... it seems to *have* to also apply this smart tempo stuff.

Am I missing something? Is there not a way to *only* quantize using my own transient markers, and not have logic do anything automated?

This is such a big part of my workflow that if not I fear I’ll have to move onto pro tools for my comping/editing... which I could do without having to learn as I’ve been a happy logic user for 15 years.

Help!