Minimum MacBook Pro specs to run Logic Pro X basics

Max219

Hey , I am looking for the minimum MacBook Pro to get in order to use the basics of Logic Pro X. All I need is to track guitar/bass through an audio interface , use a mic , and a drum pad.

What’s the earliest year to run Logic Pro X?

Will a Dual core work or does it need to be a quad core ?

Does i5 work or does it need to be i7?

Is 8GB RAM enough ?

Thanks !

The current version of Logic requires Catalina, so you can google "Macs that run Catalina" for a list of supported hardware.

For basic use, a minimim spec machine will work fine. Once you start to add more and more tracks, and more and more pluins, that's when a minimum spec machine will show it's limitations.

How about MacBook Pro 15.4-inch (Mid-2012) - Core i7 - 8GB - HDD 750 GB ?

The cool thing about these (I still have mine), is that you can replace the HD with an SSD, which I recommend, and add another 8 gigs of ram later.

But it's the only computer around 500 bucks that can run Logic ok for basic stuff, and still has all the "old" ports.

Make sure it's the non-retina model. And don't get the 13-inch, because it's dual-core.

Logic works in retina, but the reason to consider a non-retina of the same era is expandability. The RAM is soldered on to the MLB, can't be upgraded and the SSD in it is essentially proprietary, expensive to get a larger unit if you wanted to. That was the 1st gen of the Retina computers, if I were to choose between the two of the same age, I'd choose a non-retina. FWIW, I do Macs for a living.

At your budget and since you are coming in to Logic clean, look at the new MacBook Air. The benchmarks for that running Logic are insane. You are getting new and with a warranty. If you are a student you save $100.

Thanks for your responses !

I found this from 2012, MacBook Pro 15.4-inch (Mid-2012) - Core i7 - 16GB - SSD 250 GB https://www.backmarket.com/tested-and-certified-used-macbook-pro-154-inch-mid-2012-core-i7-16gb-ssd-250-gb/130784.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzZL-BRDnARIsAPCJs70rsRQN58Rjg3PMJeue_ZwYng_6U_MMqhNH82UmHJ5OQ1eTvuVflqkaArbREALw_wcB- I believe it is

Non-retina , will it still run Logic Pro X from the year 2012?

I also found this - MacBook Pro Retina 15.4-inch (Mid-2014) - Core i7 - 16GB - SSD 512 GB - https://www.backmarket.com/tested-and-certified-used-macbook-pro-retina-154-inch-mid-2014-core-i7-16gb-ssd-512-gb/13788.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzZL-BRDnARIsAPCJs73HJ5SH_KPZ_oU8sCGtuurbBGhNwukM_ptYYeBSWtqcu64Mkg8PpjcaAkMTEALw_wcB - It’s from 2014 but a retina model. Will this run Logic Pro X? I don’t see anything say “Catalina” however.

And finally , the new MacBook Air will be as strong as these iMacs to run Logic Pro x ?

If I were choosing between the 2 older machines I would go for that Retina, it’s a good machine. It will run Catalina, both of them will. The 2012 machine won’t run Big Sur, which means you would have a machine that will probably not run any newer versions of Logic after next year. Of the 3, the Air is almost certainly the most powerful for Logic and you are buying for the future, not the past. Edited by redgreenblue

Definitely not the i3 one, you want the M1 chip. It’s Apple’s own design is game changing fast for what we do.

I have a 2010 MacBook Air that will run a simple Logic setup just fine. I had (for a time) a 2016 MacBook (no fans) that ran basic Logic setup just fine - from a thumb-drive for the audio...

Any Mac that is post 2012 (welcome to 64bit) should run a simple Logic setup just fine...

of course you might be far happier with GarageBand on an iPad with a CCK ;-)

The new M1 Macs? I expect the new Air (still waiting...) is going to outperform all of my Macs for the most part...even the minimal 8GB, 8core/7GPU 256GB SSD...for most things...