Plugins, Routing and I/O Shifted like crazy Very Odd

alexrkopp

Ben and others,

somewhere in this thread David explained that Logic changed the implementation of the click "Klopfgeist", then reverted to how it was previously.

The click used to be assigned to track 264 (I believe) then it was changed to be one track above the last audio track in your session.

So if you had 3 audio tracks, the click was track 4; if you created a new track the click would then shift to track 5 etc..

This problem with the track/Bus shuffling seems to be related to the "metronome disappearing" issue. (in another thread)

David's tip was to use a fresh template from the latest Logic version.

My test is not scientific; but I am working on two films each of which has about 50 Logic projects. One film was started from a template created in an older Logic version, and the other from a freshly created template from the (almost) newest Logic version. In the first film the metronome often drops out and the track shuffling has happened about 8 times.

In the projects created from the newer template it has not happened once.

As others have observed it mostly occurs when performing some sort of Track process (creating, deleting, bouncing etc.)

I don't know if this issue has been fixed, but in my case making a fresh template so far has stopped it from occurring.

David, please correct me if I have explained the click implementation incorrectly.

If Apple responds with an explanation, please post it here as this problem is terrifying!

Click is "inst1" and will change when you create new software instrument tracks, not audio tracks. The ""Preview" channel strip OTH (audio3 in a new blank project with only one SW track) will change as soon as you create new audio tracks. It would be interesting to see if someone could recreate the bug without using the "undo" command, haven't seen it yet...

It's not that complicated. Before, the number of tracks (audio or SWI) was limited to 256 each. Back then the Click track was inst256 and "Prelisten" (now "Preview") was audio256. Since the change to 1000 track limit, the numbering for Click and Preview is changing dynamically, always having the last audio or SWI number. Hth, maybe not as clear as I hoped... :D

JakobP,

yes that is the point; it seems to be this dynamic changing of the Click and preview channels that is possibly creating the track chaos problem as well as the disappearing metronome issue.

I was unaware that Logic increased the potential track amount.

Barefoot, I too have been editing/comping vocals in sessions this week and have encountered the issue in 2 of the 3 sessions so far. It's the unpacking of the take folders and then removing one of the audio channels that tends to randomly throw it out.

The undo function does not contribute to the onset of this glitch/bug, it seems to intermittently glitch when removing an audio track, then creating another one (most commonly when unpacking take folders, then removing one or more tracks from those performances). The undo function cannot fix the issue either by just going back until before that damaging move was made, seems to not be useful in these cases.

To 'question' - Yes, once a session is corrupted (in your case a template), that issue/bug will be present in all additional projects initiated from that template. However, a new session seems to start clean, and allow you to continue on without the bug (at least until it may or may not happen again). Which is why I mentioned that the only temporary solution for me is to start another fresh session, then import all of my 'bugged' session's channels and I/O and sends etc, then make sure everything is sending where it aught to be, and then continue working from there and the issue is no longer initially present. Unfortunately, a film with 50 projects seems to be a massive and scary headache trying to resolve by creating 50 new sessions and hoping all your imports go without a hiccup :/....

Hopefully there's a solution soon, cause this has really messed up some large mixing sessions i've had in the past, and the temporary resolutions are sometimes daunting and take so much unavailable time :/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the issues discussed in this thread, as well as the disappearing metronome issue, have been fixed in the latest Logic Update?

I read David's list of update changes, but I thought it might be possible that Apple would simply quietly fix the issue without first acknowedging its existence.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey guys, I ran into this issue recently, I’m using an M1. I searched these boards for clues and saw a few here and there but nothing that was exactly same. For a while I thought it was because I in fact did have more than one project open at a time but it has happened since on a different project where I did not.

Both projects where it has occurred were BIG projects with 200+ tracks but I think thats only a common factor because having so many tracks is what makes this big difficult to detect.

In the end what I discovered, in my case anyway, is it was one corrupt sample from splice.com. That was it. Each was a different sample but once removed the problem ceased.

I only discovered this because that one sample seemed to go haywire before the others. In my case they were both drum samples so it was fairly easy to tell when they were out of sync.

I’m not saying this is gonna solve anybody’s problems fact fact the opposite may be true that this can happen for multiple reasons.

The only other solution I found in the meantime before I discovered this was too export all files as audio and then important to the session and rearrange

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

This just happened to me as well.

M1 Mac Mini / Big Sur 11.6.3 / Logic 10.7.2

I'm working with a video track. I didn't notice when the change happened exactly, but same issues: track assignments all shifted, click gone.

Just a brutal bug that set me back a couple days.

The info about click and pre-listen feels like it's on the right track, but has anyone figured out any other details about this?

I’ve looked around for a long time, followed a lot of clues down their prospective rabbit holes and I gotta admit, it’s been rough. Lolololololol like full month of picking everything apart!

The silver lining for me is now I have a plethora of knowledge and a way better understanding of my system and that’s kinda priceless

• 2 months later...

Im having this problem as well...Logic 10.5.1, Big Sur...it is a truly devastating bug because it completely scrambles the routing and is not easily fixed. A revert is the only way to get around it or to go to an alternative. Ive lost hours in the past few weeks to this bug.

• 4 months later...

I was working in a project scoring a film and after I attempted to swap out a different cut of the video, all my channel strip settings have gotten mixed up and jumbled together. What an awful bug! 

Is there anyway to resolve aside from reverting back to an older saved version?