Upgrade to Logic 10.5 using Mojave on 2010 Mac

stegibson

Hi All,

I'm on a 2010 5,1 mac updated to run Mojave with a metal graphic card

I'm trying to update from logic 10.4.8 to 10.5 because Logic 10.6 requires 1OSX 10.15 or later

Do you know where or how to upgrade to logic 10.5 without upgrading the OSX because

Mojave is the furthest I can go on my 2010 mac?

I can only go to 10.6 on the App store. Is there a link to update to 10.5 that anyone knows about?

Kindest

I get an update button on the app store, so it knows I already have 10.4.8 but when I hit 'upgrade' it says I need Catalina for 10.6 (which is true), But there's no mention of 10.5. anywhere. I thought it would detect my Mojave OSX and automatically give me 10.5 to upgrade to. There is no upgrade path option when I start up my Logic 10.4.8 program from my Mac either.

Acutally, when I go to the UK logic site https://www.apple.com/uk/logic-pro/ it gives me the option to buy or download a free trial of 10.5, so that page know that I'm on Mojave and is only giving me 10.5 and not 10.6 to download. It's just the App store which is blocking me from updating. Anyhow I'm talking to Apple in an hour so will be able to update this when I see what they have to say for themselves.

So they reckon that although my mac meets the technical requirements, the version of Logic Pro that I purchased in 2013 is too old, and the only way I can get Logic Pro 10.5 is to buy it again. I think this might be BS, because when I'm given the opportunity to buy 5.1 from the apple website https://www.apple.com/uk/logic-pro/ it takes me to the app store and once again I'm only given the option to buy 10.6 which I can't use.

Their suggestion is to download a Demo Version from the website instead, enter my payment details from within the app and then when I want to buy I should be able to purchase from within the Logic app itself without going to the app store.

They've given me a case number. I will try their suggestion and see if it works. Bit pissed off that I will have to purchase it again though.

And I'll show my arse on the town hall steps if the demo version allows me to purchase without any hiccups. Of course I'll post pics of my arse and the town hall if it does work

So they reckon that although my mac meets the technical requirements, the version of Logic Pro that I purchased in 2013 is too old, and the only way I can get Logic Pro 10.5 is to buy it again. I think this might be BS, because when I'm given the opportunity to buy 5.1 from the apple website https://www.apple.com/uk/logic-pro/ it takes me to the app store and once again I'm only given the option to buy 10.6 which I can't use.

Their suggestion is to download a Demo Version from the website instead, enter my payment details from within the app and then when I want to buy I should be able to purchase from within the Logic app itself without going to the app store.

They've given me a case number. I will try their suggestion and see if it works. Bit pissed off that I will have to purchase it again though.

And I'll show my arse on the town hall steps if the demo version allows me to purchase without any hiccups. Of course I'll post pics of my arse and the town hall if it does work

This sounds like someone that doesn't even know Apple themselves are the developers of Logic Pro. [EDIT: That's really concerning.] AFAIK, there's no way to enter payment details within the app on Logic, even a demo version of it. Unless something has changed in recent times with the Mac App Store, you should be able to go to the Purchased tab and from there, download the latest version of Logic compatible with your system. Note for future reference that that's OS- and hardware-dependent, of course, so if you weren't on Sierra or newer, for example, you'd only see up to LPX 10.3.whatever it went to.

• 1 month later...
I was in the exact same situation. 2012 macpro 5,1 running Mojave. I did all the work upgrading to a new metal capable gpu just so I could get on Mojave to get Logic 10.5. No go. As the op said it simply refuses to let you do it. Why would they do this? If someone knows let us know. Anyway I got it working and no you definitely do not need to re-buy logicpro. What worked for me in the end was backing up my logic and then deleting it, at least moving it to trash. Then restart the computer and go to the app store. Through all this if you go to update apps it will not give you the option to update Logic, as if you already have the latest Mojave can run even though that's not true. Anyhow look to the bottom left where your account is. There if you purchased logic X through this account no matter how long ago you will see the cloud download icon. Click this and for me it still wouldn't let me download it. But I signed in and out, still didn't work, shut down computer restarted tried again still no go. But because I was so mad I kept trying and suddenly as if I hit the magic number of tries, it worked, and downloaded Logic 10.5.1. And so far its working great, all my plugins still work and sessions are opening without any changes. I have no idea why Apple did this but it seems beyond a bug because its been like this a long time now.