A question regarding understanding Latency with Apollo UAD twin

Gogo240

I have been trying to wrap my head around understanding Latency for some time now. I have been recording a guitar usually either direct or with axe FX, or sent in via SPIDF with my kemper.

I recently was trying to record on a funk tune, and noticed on playback the timing was just a touch off on playback. Didn't really notice it much when recording, if at all. This made me question my abilities (been playing over 20 yrs and have done a lot of recordings), but after doing more tests it seems I'm hearing on playback things just a little behind the beat. This is subtle stuff I get it, but it's actually noticeable in feel to me when listening. Less noticeable for longer chord type stuff.

This is my setup:

I have on UAD Console, Input compensation set to Off. I am monitoring my guitar only through Console, NOT in Logic. I make sure if I'm recording with the kemper or Axe FX that I am NOT using any plugins on the channel strip. Sometimes though, I do have processing on the master bus.

Here is where I suspect the problem may be, but I don't fully understand it, as I do have a lot of holes in my knowledge. In Logic's preferences, I have never bothered changing the buffer size (usually at 512 or higher), because I thought that was taken care of by monitoring my guitar ONLY in UAD Console while recording. And somehow Logic knows how to do the math, and play things back in perfect time.

I do however notice, when I bring the buffer size down the Roundtrip Ms and Output Ms both come down a lot in numbers. So to summarize, should I be bringing down the buffer size even if I'm monitoring through UAD console while recording? Should I be engaging the "recording delay" option in preferences? I appreciate the eduction, and someone here breaking it down for me. Thank you :)

I have a similar UA set-up and will get a similar offset if I record w/o Low Latency Mode enabled. Keeping LL mode enabled while recording fixes the problem on my end. I'm sure there will be a more detailed answer forthcoming, but typically lower buffer settings will improve latency when recording as well. Higher buffer settings are better suited for mixing/higher plugin counts.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207527

Employing low latency mode is described in the third section of this article. Low latency mode helped to fix the recorded audio delay issue when I first encountered it. It doesn’t particularly matter what settings I use in Logic as long as I monitor through the UA console app and keep low latency mode enabled during recording.