Logic Pro X 10.4.1 Not Recognizing MIDI devices

an.eternal.hum

Hi folks.

So I run 10.4.1 on two different machines. One is using MIDI perfectly flawlessly as plug-and-play, the other is a head-scratcher.

Everything works simply and correctly on a 2015 MBP running Catalina w/16GB RAM.

However, my main studio machine is a MacPro3,1 with 40GB RAM running Mojave. Both Logic Pro X 10.4.1

Initially, when I would open Logic on the Mojave machine, I would get the “Error Initializing CoreMIDI”, which I understand to be a common issue with Mojave. I uninstalled all Korg drivers as is recommended as a fix, and now no longer get that error.

However, Logic still does not recognize MIDI controllers. Particularly, I am trying to get my Alesis Nitro Mesh hooked up; my computer recognizes it by name as a USB device however. On the other machine it is instantly recognized and enabled in Logic as soon as I power it on.

Software instruments, both stock Logic and external Plugins such as Kontakt still read data when controlled by Musical Typing, if that’s helpful at all.

Any tips? Anyone deal with this?

Take Logic out of the equation at first - download a simple host like "Hosting AU", and load an instrument. Does it play via your MIDI keyboards? If not, then perhaps they are not working on your computer for some reason - you can check cabling, USB hubs, different USB ports, driver issues, different controllers etc.

If it *does* work there then MIDI from your controllers is correctly being received by the system, but if they are not working Logic, then we can troubleshoot Logic next (try things like making sure the MIDI input ports are not disabled in the prefs, turn on "Bypass All Control Surfaces" to see if that makes a difference, try with a new project, not your own templates, and so on...)

I've no idea what the "known Core MIDI issue on Mojave is", and nor have I even heard of this (and I'm running Mojave, and MIDI has behaved the way it also has in OSX for me), but it certainly indicates that MIDI is not working for you at a system level.

For this "known issue" - were there any workarounds or solutions posted? Start there. And also check things like audio/MIDI drivers on your system, what ports, cables and hubs you're using, and strip it down until you can find the source of the problem.

coremidi.jpg

Yeah, after some research it appears to be somewhat common amongst Mojave users, but I have two friends also using Mojave who had never heard of it. Decent explanation of it in this comment https://music.stackexchange.com/a/79410

There were two basic workarounds: Launching Audio/MIDI Setup's MIDI Studio window, which force-initializes CoreMIDI;

this has to be done before launch every time. Apparently, there was also some known conflict with Korg drivers, because running Korg's USB-MIDI Uninstall utility https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/driver/1/285/3856/ solves the problem as well -- though for me, that simply means the Error dialogue doesn't launch every time.

Unfortunately, besides those two things, everyone's solution was simply to upgrade to Catalina, which I can't do on this machine.

No issues with my cables, have tried several ports, don't use any hubs. I'm coming up with nothing, which is why I'm fairly certain the issue still lies with that CoreMIDI issue.