Converting a stereo track to 2 mono tracks?

JCcares

Here's a cleaner workflow to split a stereo file into two mono ones, that does not require bouncing:

1. Select the audio file in the Project Audio browser.

2. Choose Audio File > Copy/Convert File(s).

3. Click the Stereo Conversion pop-up menu and choose Interleaved to Split.

4. Save the file under a new name.

5. In the Project Audio Browser, select the new file and press Command-Shift-R (or control-click the file and choose Show File in Finder).

6. In the Finder, rename the .L and .R files giving each one a distinct name.

7. Drag and drop the two new mono files on your tracks.

Here's a cleaner workflow to split a stereo file into two mono ones, that does not require bouncing:

Outstanding! Thank you.

Do you have a handy hint on how to tell if a stereo file is really just a mono one?

I know I can phase invert one of the mono tracks and listen to determine if it is null, but any way to do that kind of preview from the Audio File browser?

Outstanding! Thank you.

You're welcome!

Do you have a handy hint on how to tell if a stereo file is really just a mono one?

I know I can phase invert one of the mono tracks and listen to determine if it is null, but any way to do that kind of preview from the Audio File browser?

No, I don't have a special trick to identify a stereo file where the Left and Right signals are the same if that's what you mean?

Well,honestly the reason I started this thread was that I have the Slate Digital ML 1 mic which has many mic models on it.So was wondering if I could use 2 models & get best of both the worlds on a single stereo track.If I have it on a single track, comping & editing would be easier to handle.Glad to know there won't be phasing issues.

Well,honestly the reason I started this thread was that I have the Slate Digital ML 1 mic which has many mic models on it.So was wondering if I could use 2 models & get best of both the worlds on a single stereo track.

You could try using multi-mono plug-ins to process only the Left or Right side of a stereo signal on a stereo track.

Well,honestly the reason I started this thread was that I have the Slate Digital ML 1 mic which has many mic models on it.So was wondering if I could use 2 models & get best of both the worlds on a single stereo track.

You could try using multi-mono plug-ins to process only the Left or Right side of a stereo signal on a stereo track.

Is it really possible to use a mono plugin only on one side of a stereo track? Never tried that before!

Also is it possible to merge 2 Mono Tracks together & make it 1 stereo track?

Thanks

Is it really possible to use a mono plugin only on one side of a stereo track? Never tried that before!

Yes. A mono plug-in allows you to process the left and the right as two independent mono sources. It's like having one mono plug-in for the L signal and another mono plug-in for the R signal, so just dial zero effect on one and the desired effect on the other.

Yes, the easiest would be to create a summing stack for them.

Yes. A mono plug-in allows you to process the left and the right as two independent mono sources. It's like having one mono plug-in for the L signal and another mono plug-in for the R signal, so just dial zero effect on one and the desired effect on the other.

Yes, the easiest would be to create a summing stack for them.

Thanks for the awesome info. I will look up into that ‘ summing stack’ thing now.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Select the audio file in the Project Audio browser.

2. Choose Audio File > Copy/Convert File(s).

3. Click the Stereo Conversion pop-up menu and choose Interleaved to Split.

4. Save the file under a new name.

5. In the Project Audio Browser, select the new file and press Command-Shift-R (or control-click the file and choose Show File in Finder).

6. In the Finder, rename the .L and .R files giving each one a distinct name.

7. Drag and drop the two new mono files on your tracks.

Hi David,

With regards to the stereo conversion you suggested ,on step 5 & 6 I was stuck since I couldn't find the .L & .R files although the finder points out the the Logic project name.I looked in the bounce folder too & couldn't find it.Maybe I am doing something wrong here.Anyways I tried a different method.After Step 4 I selected 'Add to tracks' & selected 'create new tracks' & then I got 2 tracks.Are these the left & right tracks respectively? The track still had the 2 circles indicating stereo though on each individual track.If there is any further reading on this in the manual pls let me know the pager any video would help too.Thanks

With regards to the stereo conversion you suggested ,on step 5 & 6 I was stuck since I couldn't find the .L & .R files although the finder points out the the Logic project name.I looked in the bounce folder too & couldn't find it.

Save your project organized as a project folder, with "Copy audio files" selected, so that you can easily access the audio files in the Finder.