Any way to relink Logic sampler instruments (in bulk)?

AllTheButtons

I'm setting up a new computer, trying to make everything nice and neat, but my ancient EXS24 sample library is pretty broken and I'd like to fix it rather than just importing the mess to the new Logic Sampler. Lots of instruments that can't find their samples, that sort of thing.

Many years ago there was Redmatica for this, of course... is there any solution at all in 2020 other than manually retrieving every WAV in Finder?

Assuming the audio files are still there, and correctly indexed by Spotlight, then Sampler *should* just find them when you load an instrument, and relink them automatically.

I'd probably made a test copy of the library, and bit by bit test to see whether they can be found and loaded ok.

• 2 months later...
Chasing this topic and finding lamentations everywhere for the demise of Redmatica and fury with Apple (who bought and then trashed it or so it seems). I am in the same boat with AllTheButtons. Most times I try to use Sampler it comes up with the Multiple Matches messages which are so infuriating. Why is it not possible to simply remap everything as in the Redmatica days? Has anyone found a comparable tool?

Just had a look at the Relinker app ... looks like it's a good solution if you want to relink one specific EXS file. But Redmatica was able to go through an entire library of thousands of sampler instruments, relinking everything, removing duplicates, making sure files had unique names, etc etc. Real shame this functionality was lost.

Just had a look at the Relinker app ... looks like it's a good solution if you want to relink one specific EXS file. But Redmatica was able to go through an entire library of thousands of sampler instruments, relinking everything, removing duplicates, making sure files had unique names, etc etc. Real shame this functionality was lost.

It would be surprising if Apple doesn't end up releasing something similar? I suppose they've been trying but haven't yet come up with something that is deemed "up to Apple standards" yet. I agree that the wait is frustrating. :(

they've been trying but haven't yet come up with something that is deemed "up to Apple standards" yet.

So the multi-billion gigant of a company could not find a way to implement something from a blueprint which a single bloke managed to do just fine on his own, in his spare time ? Not in nine years since they bought him off the surface of the planet for supposedly this exact purpose ? Not in a way that it matches the godly standards set by no one but themselves ? I find that very hard to believe.

they've been trying but haven't yet come up with something that is deemed "up to Apple standards" yet.

So the multi-billion gigant of a company could not find a way to implement something from a blueprint which a single bloke managed to do just fine on his own, in his spare time ? Not in nine years since they bought him off the surface of the planet for supposedly this exact purpose ? Not in a way that it matches the godly standards set by no one but themselves ? I find that very hard to believe.

Well that, and it's probably not a priority of theirs? Or go figure what it could be. But I do agree that it's frustrating, for what it's worth.

It took quite a long time before bits of Keymap ended up in a release version of Logic (10.5).

I just think this one one kind of nerdy tool that shouldn't exist - you should put all your instruments and samples in the defined places, and they should just load automatically, without requiring some kind of maintenance process.

This presumably mostly affects people that had a whole bunch of content on and old/former system, and have moved it to a new system and all the drive/folder/file locations no longer resolve. A little of help with some aliases in the right place, and it should work fairly transparently.

Of course, that leaves the fewer number of occasions where you do everything correctly, and it still doesn't work (or corrupts the sample references), and for these a tool to clean this up is useful, but whether they'd want to build this functionality into Logic again (it was there in Logic 7.x remember - they specifically *took it out* of Logic, the Project Manager functionality, which let you resolve EXS instruments) seems unlikely...

So they bought him off the market just to shut him up ?

Eh? They bought Redmatica because of a) the developer, and b) his technology, a lot of which is now incorporated into Apple products like Logic and Mainstage (Sampler, Quick Sampler, Autosampler, the export tag renaming, probably a fundamental part of Flex Pitch) - if you look into the resources of Sampler, it's full of Redmatica logos, icons and stuff...

How they choose to deploy his talents and the IP they bought is up to them.

The project manager was in LP7, and removed for LP8/Logic Studio, and was long before Redmatica was purchased by Apple.

Just had a look at the Relinker app ... looks like it's a good solution if you want to relink one specific EXS file.

Did you read the help file (I put a link to it in that post), in particular the Creating multiple EXS files section.

EXS24 Relinker (s) Help

http://www.vallisoftware.com/HelpFiles/EXS24%20Relinker%20(s)/English.lproj/EXS24%20Relinker%20(s)%20Help.html

Creating multiple EXS files

http://www.vallisoftware.com/HelpFiles/EXS24%20Relinker%20(s)/English.lproj/pgs/lpage8.html

Just had a look at the Relinker app ... looks like it's a good solution if you want to relink one specific EXS file.

Did you read the help file (I put a link to it in that post), in particular the Creating multiple EXS files section.

You're right I missed that! It's still not quite the same thing as Redmatica though, which could take a completely disorganised, giant multi-gigabyte pile of files and folders, full of duplicated, misplaced, irrelevant or even entirely missing files, and make sense of it all.

When it couldn't find audio files at all, it would still neatly organise all the affected EXS instruments, but they would be placed in a special folder for you to deal with separately. Similarly, it would separate out orphaned audio files. It had a robust process for de-duplicating files, and would rename everything so no file names were repeated. Audio files could be placed with their EXS instruments, or in a separate folder structure that mirrored the instruments. It was a BIG piece of software.

Yes. It's not the same and nobody claimed it was. It's free. Thanks ValliSoftware.

Just a no-frills, less bells and whistles little utility app that just let's you view a EXS file and relink a EXS file.

The reason I named it EXS24 Relinker (s) is because I was thinking of creating a EXS24 Relinker (m) version where you could process a group of files without the tableview since that wouldn't make sense in processing a group of files.

But this little app has served me well where that (m) version was just put on the back burner.

And, I thought I'd share this version with everyone as well. :mrgreen:

• 4 months later...

The EXS24 Relinker app isn't working for me. Following the help pages, when I drag in an exs file I expect to see a list of the reference audio files, but for me it remains empty. Only the titlebar of the app updates to reflect the name of the exs file.

Following the other instruction for relinking multiple exs files, I first drag in the samples folder onto the right icon. Then when I drag two or more exs files onto the left icon, the app crashes "EXS Relinker (s) quit unexpectedly".

The EXS24 Relinker app isn't working for me. Following the help pages, when I drag in an exs file I expect to see a list of the reference audio files, but for me it remains empty. Only the titlebar of the app updates to reflect the name of the exs file.

Following the other instruction for relinking multiple exs files, I first drag in the samples folder onto the right icon. Then when I drag two or more exs files onto the left icon, the app crashes "EXS Relinker (s) quit unexpectedly".

What version of OS X are you running my app on?