Low Mic Volume

Ascarpo

Hi!

I'm fairly new to using Logic Pro and recently started recording. I've been using an AT2020 condenser mic, a Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, and Logic Pro X. I just got done recording a song and everything worked great. The mic was loud and picked up everything (and was really sensitive). However, now that I opened a new project and created a new audio channel the mic volume is very low and faint. It's a lot less sensitive and the Focusrite doesn't even show the "green ring" to indicate it's picking up noise that's loud enough. I haven't done anything different than I did in my first recording. In fact, when I go back to the first project and open a new audio channel strip, it sounds great. Since I'm not changing anything on the hardware, I'm assuming this is an issue with Logic. Are there any default setting that could be creating this issue?

I'd really appreciate any feedback!

Actually, no green light means no signal into the Focusrite, so your problem is there. Two things to check would be the gain level of the input and the phantom power (in this case, you want it *on*).

The phantom power is on and the gain it almost 3/4 of the way up to max. I can hear that the mic is picking noice up, just faintly. I think the ring around the Focusrite isn't turning green because it's not "loud" enough, but I haven't made any hardware changes between my first project (which worked well) and now.

When I go back to my first project and add another audio channel, it works fine. It just happens when I try to record within a new project.

That's a strange issue then. You're saying you don't get any metering on the Scarlett with the new project, but you do with the old one? Those meters have nothing to do with the software, so just looking at the interface and microphone itself, those meters should be reporting the same levels regardless of what's open in Logic.

Yes! It may flicker green if I were to turn the gain entirely up, but I haven't tried that yet. Yes, I didn't have this issue with the old one. Could there be anything that would interfere with phantom power within Logic?

Not as far as I know… I've got my Scarlett 2i4 sitting next to me right now, and the meters are lighting up even with no inputs set up in Logic or Pro Tools in the background. Same after closing both DAWs in order to install an update for a plugin. It's a gen 1, but as far as I know nothing has changed in how they're built.

But wait, you're saying you *didn't* have this issue, past tense. If you switch between both projects now, do you see that issue? Might help to switch to the Direct Monitoring to make sure you're getting all hardware monitoring, no computer sound.

Not as far as I know… I've got my Scarlett 2i4 sitting next to me right now, and the meters are lighting up even with no inputs set up in Logic or Pro Tools in the background. Same after closing both DAWs in order to install an update for a plugin. It's a gen 1, but as far as I know nothing has changed in how they're built.

But wait, you're saying you *didn't* have this issue, past tense. If you switch between both projects now, do you see that issue? Might help to switch to the Direct Monitoring to make sure you're getting all hardware monitoring, no computer sound.

Okay, I think I found the answer to the "issue". I was only looking at the individual audio track and didn't notice the "top 40" track next to it. This track has compression, enveloper, exciter, etc. on it and I think it's what was causing everything to be so loud in clear in my first project. The track "next" to the audio channel in my new project says "stereo out" and doesn't have anything on it yet. I think that's the difference.

Sorry to have wasted your time with something like this... I think I stared at my screen for so long I didn't see what was right in front of me.

This might be an even dumber question, but which way should I be recording? Should I just have two blank channel strips like in my new project? Like when I'm recording, should it sound very crisp and loud and clear like it did in the first project or should I be recording without any of the "Top 40" stuff?

Yeah, that's bound to be the issue then, all the effects that are on the track. I wouldn't recommend recording with a preset. Some reverb may be helpful, but too much processing while you're recording and it'll make it harder for you to recognize any issues with your recording, whether that's low signal, pitch or pronunciation issues, etc. On top of that, it's the better way to learn about signal chains and gain staging.

But keep in mind that even with plugins on a channel strip, the input is recorded pre effects so it’s a dry signal regardless of the plugins enabled on the track. So if after recording you disable the plugins, you’ll hear the exact same thing as if you’d recorded it without plugins activated.

It boils down to personal preference. Some singers, for example, prefer to have a bit of reverb while tracking. Some like a little compression. It all depends on the individual. Personally I prefer to direct monitor on outboard gear with an outboard reverb unit to adjust the headphone mix for tracking independently of logic. I also prefer no compression for tracking because it allows/forces me to focus on my dynamics and subtleties of the voice more. Then I will use compression post recording to smooth things out a bit of needed. For the most part I prefer to hear exactly what is going into the mic (no compression) but need a bit of reverb so it sounds a bit more lush than dry tracking.

I believe it's important during vocal recording for the singer to feel comfortable. In the end your job is to capture emotion. The "right" mic or the "right" mic preamp will not produce emotion. That candle or that red lava lamp that is going to require you to drive 15mn down the street to purchase might just get you that emotion you're looking for.

So while that may sound like a little exaggeration, I truly do believe that if I will be able to get a more emotional take out of my singer by giving him a little reverb and compression and distortion or whatever it takes, it's for the best. As robinloops pointed out, I can always remove those plug-ins after I'm done recording, and start mixing fresh with different reverb/compressors if need be.