GRID BUG?

SirMalikCobra
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hey,

When I import an audio file like a (Snare) for example, it snaps directly to the 1 on the first bar but the tail of the region is always a smidge off and I have to zoom in to line it up with the next bar however, when I stretch it, the end of the region just falls a few ticks off from snapping to the bar. I have the grid on smart and Ive tried changing the grid to all the other options but they still snap to offbeat marks. is this a known bug or do I have something checked that could be causing this. This problem is giving me all sorts of timing issues that I cannot resolve.

Am I able to send a short video or no? It still for some reason didn't stay the marquee selection length. That's super weird.

If you use LiceCap you can take an animated gif and post it here. For a video you have to post on Youtube and link or embed here. :)

If you want you can also attach an example project and give clear instructions on how to reproduce the issue? How to attach files to your post

The problem is not with the front of the region. Secondly, were you able to zoom in and see the issue? (All the way in) The problem is with the right side of the region snapping to grid. The left side snaps just fine. When a region is stretched it should stay where it is stretched to. If it moves slightly off the grid that is not normal behavior. Edited by SirMalikCobra

And the marquee tactic did not fix the issue with the end of the region staying snapped to where your placing it.

Please try this:

1. Stretch that region out to a perfect bar.

2. Press command R.

3. The result should be two hits that perfectly take up two bars in length.

4. Place the play head at the end of the last snare hit.

5. Zoom in all the way and screen shot it and post it please.

I was able to reproduce the bug with Snap in Smart mode, but not if Snap is set to Beat or Bar. Actually now I can't reproduce the bug even with Snap set to Smart mode. Weird.

However in my opinion timestretching in order to repeat to the grid is not the proper workflow: if the goal is to repeat the region on specific grid positions such as on every beat, or every other beat, there's no need to time-stretch the sample or to snap the end of the region to a specific grid position. Moreover I don't want a workflow that forces me into changing the sound of a sample if that's not my primary intention and there's no need to do it.

Did you see my animation? I show you how to repeat the non-snapped sample to grid position using the Marquee. That's the workflow to use to repeat the sample in the right positions.

Yes, I seen your method. Thanks, I just have extreme OCD. I pay extreme detail to the smallest of things and when its out of place it drives me nuts. I'm just going to chalk it up as a grid bug because multiple people can't explain why this is happening. If i duplicate something equal in length the sum should be equal in length not a couple of ticks longer. Eventually the whole project will suffer.

Yes, I seen your method. Thanks, I just have extreme OCD. I pay extreme detail to the smallest of things and when its out of place it drives me nuts. I'm just going to chalk it up as a grid bug because multiple people can't explain why this is happening. If i duplicate something equal in length the sum should be equal in length not a couple of ticks longer. Eventually the whole project will suffer.

I agree it's a bug however you're using the wrong tool for the job. It's like trying to hammer a nail with a screwdriver and figuring out that your screwdriver is broken when you really should be using a hammer. You are right, the screwdriver is broken, however that's still not the right tool for the job: instead, you should be using a hammer to bang on your nail.

• 4 weeks later...
I had similar issues with dragging audio to exactly the bar or beat, or shortening the tail precisely. Check your snap mode and if you're in snap mode- relative, it will almost always not snap perfectly to the bar, but when I changed it to snap mode-absolute, it snapped perfectly to the grid. Let me know if this works for you as well

NOTE: I moved and updated below post to: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=155366

I have a similar issue that started with 10.6. I've posted examples from the same session. Some regions drag properly, others do not. It does not matter whether Absolute , Relative or what my division is, it happens randomly. For example, in my "Region To Be Dragged Ultimately Fails.png" (It's track 53 in session), note it's trying to move it 8 0 0 105 if you look closely at the 2nd pic. I'll simply start dragging with the option key to copy (or without to move) and I'll notice right away that the indicator which tells you how far you're moving is not going to be precise. If I drag other regions, for example "Region To Be Dragged Ultimately Works.png" (track 55 in session) this one will instantly tell me +1 0 0 0 , +2 0 0 0 etc... (8 0 0 0 in the 4th pic) for how many bars I'm moving. Generally I prefer relative because I want to move an exact number of bars, but often the regions have a pickup so they don't always start on grid.

Another peculiarity, even regions that usually work will sometimes "land" 1 tick short, that is the starting position will be something like 53 4 4 240, instead of 54 1 1 1 even if the region started dragging from a "x 1 1 1 " location.

I've gotten around it by creating a bounce in place starting from the previous bar's downbeat, and then it seems to "clear up" and I can drag around again until the next random one fails.

1163349272_RegionDragAsExpected.thumb.png.949fd6853279f6192e29e2f92c4e013a.png

1180383176_RegionToBeDraggedUltimatelyWorks.thumb.png.d85567231d571fda30c9142b545ff4f6.png

976503262_RegionDragsOffGrid(RelativeorAbsolute).thumb.png.06494fd7000981a157130dbad6b74932.png

1820680179_RegionToBeDraggedUltimatelyFails.thumb.png.b120b14e52e9071733701f94bc1bc27e.png