Searching / limiting the amount of automation parameters

karlingen

I don't know what this feature is called, but want I want to achieve is to limit the number of automation options shown in the automation list for a specific plugin.

As you can see in the following screenshot, the plugin I'm using has a ton of automation options, making it hard to find the specific one you need.

How do you guys cope with this?

1884569166_Screenshot2020-12-20at09_21_56.thumb.png.4aa2fb61c2a7bb6d4ec33441b5d153d0.png

You cannot customize those menus.

However I don't use them. Instead, set the track's automation mode to Latch, press play and in the plug-in window, tweak the knob or slider, or parameter you want to automate, and Logic creates an automation curve for that parameter.

That's genius. Thanks!

I just thought of another solution that you may or may not like depending on your workflow: in Logic's main menu bar, choose Mix > Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode. Now you don't have to use the Latch mode or press play, just change a parameter in a plug-in or in the Mixer and the automation lane on the track automatically switches to display that parameter.

That's genius. Thanks!

I'm sure that's how 95% of people automate plugins - by manipulating the controls directly (or via a controller) and recording the resultant automation, not by first finding the parameters you want to automate from the list of automatable parameters...

Maybe. But I don't.

I've never liked doing it that way because I almost always have to go back and adjust the inserted automation.

But the fact that I could just start the automation process that way is genius.

Edited by karlingen

I just thought of another solution that you may or may not like depending on your workflow: in Logic's main menu bar, choose Mix > Autoselect Automation Parameter in Read Mode. Now you don't have to use the Latch mode or press play, just change a parameter in a plug-in or in the Mixer and the automation lane on the track automatically switches to display that parameter.

Even better :o Thanks again!

Great! You're welcome. :)

As for how you automate, in my workflow there's a time and a place for both workflows. Sometimes I like the comfort and ease of editing the automation curve graphically while looking at the waveform visually. For example if I want to lower the volume of breath noises on a vocal recording. Other times I like to work live during playback while listening to the track. Both are equally valid workflows in my book.