Arrange plug-in windows

callmeslop

I've been looking for a solution to this for a while and I've seen a few other users with the same problem.

Basically, I'm looking for a way to manage my plug-in windows more easily. I'm trying to avoid plug-ins opening in pop-up windows, because it leads to overlapping windows and a cluttered workspace.

I can think of two possible solutions:

1. Somehow open plug-ins by subdividing the main window (like the mixer and editor)

2. Somehow arrange plug-in windows neatly with some sort of snapping software.

My initial thought is that you should be able to open a plug-in in the main window like you can with the mixer. It doesn't really make sense that the plug-ins are the only thing in Logic that have to open in a separate window. Furthermore, I find it interesting that the smart controls area allows you to view the full plug-in for only the channel EQ. I would love to find a way to access all of my plug-ins in a similar manner.

Snapping plug-in windows would be another acceptable solution. Unfortunately, software like BetterSnapTool doesn't seem to recognize the plug-ins as separate windows that can be snapped.

I saw this thread that described a similar issue, but no solutions.

Any ideas?

I find it interesting that the smart controls area allows you to view the full plug-in for only the channel EQ. I would love to find a way to access all of my plug-ins in a similar manner.

While it's not docked to a pane of the main window, you could experiment with working with either one single plug-in window in link = single mode, or several plug-in windows in link = Multi mode. Control-click the Link button in the plug-in header to access the link modes:

plug-in-link-modes.png.f33f44f1b17af87694ede4bb61f24244.png

In days gone by, you could open any Logic window as a floating window, by holding [Control] as you open it.

Conversely, there was a Terminal command that allowed you to open floating windows (eg plugins) as normal windows, so that they would not always be "in front".

In Logic X, this is no longer possible. Maybe it's time to send some Logic Feedback to request these functionalities again....?

Using the V key (shortcut to show/hide all open plugins) is my workaround for the inconvenience that plugins are ‘always on top’. So instead of clicking on the arrange window to bring it to the front, I hit the V key. Then instead of having to fish a plug-in from behind the full screen main window (the old method) I just hit it (v key) again and plugins return to their original position(s). It’s basically the same thing just without the plug-in actually going behind the main window (the plug-in is out of the way until you hit v again).

Once I adapted to that workflow, plugins always being on top was no longer an issue (for me).