Awful performance since updating to Big Sur

gbamast

Hi guys, since updating to big sur i am getting almost unusable performance on logic, my device is,

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)- 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 - Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I am using the latest version available of Logic and Mac OS.

Even having just two audio tracks can cause a system overload, I have tried many things to fix this, changing the buffer size, all that stuff. i have even completely wiped my mac and started fresh, but no luck.

i know this isn't even due to third party plugins, because it happens with the built in apple ones.

i am really confused as to why this suddenly happened after updating because I have not changed any setting or anything like that.

any help / ideas would be greatly appreciated!

i have no issues with big sur, everything is working beautifully. and i have 16gb ram...

try resetting nvram, and, if that doesn't help, the smc (check apple site for instructions). if you want to test things, setup a new account, try logic there. try disabling all 3rd-party plugins, then open logic again & see what happens.

backup first! always... & i'd try the nvram reset first (if it were me).

i have no issues with big sur, everything is working beautifully. and i have 16gb ram...

try resetting nvram, and, if that doesn't help, the smc (check apple site for instructions). if you want to test things, setup a new account, try logic there. try disabling all 3rd-party plugins, then open logic again & see what happens.

Thanks mate, I’ve tried all of those options but no changes! Guess I’m going to have to do a fresh install or wait for a new update

Thanks mate, I’ve tried all of those options but no changes! Guess I’m going to have to do a fresh install or wait for a new update

something's up, everything should work. am also on a 2019 mac (an imac).

are you working from a template? have you tried a 'virgin' project? you could also boot up in safe mode, then reboot normally. and check disk first aid; all ok?

otherwise, an OS reinstall (backup first!).

Thanks for the post and feedback! I'm running Catalina and Logic 10.6.1 and everything is stable. Every time I start up my computer reminds me I have a software update which is Big Sur. I'm going to wait until I see more evidence that it is stable. Hope original poster get's it sorted ~

Thanks for the post and feedback! I'm running Catalina and Logic 10.6.1 and everything is stable. Every time I start up my computer reminds me I have a software update which is Big Sur. I'm going to wait until I see more evidence that it is stable. Hope original poster get's it sorted ~

bear in mind that the OP's situation isn't the default one, and doesn't tell you anything about what your experience would be. again, here, it's all good (am working on a film now, and a remix, and have not experienced so much as a hiccup).

Thanks Fisherking! I see people talk about backing up your existing OS before updating to a new one in case you want to go back. I'm illiterate in computer speak. Does this mean to clone your entire drive to an external drive? Or is there some way to back up only Catalina and then reload only that if for some reason my system struggles in Big Sur?

At least it's an easily portable computer that you can take and have someone look at. I don't know much about computers, but I recently had a problem with an older iMac computer and removing Chrome from the system took care of the CPU usage problems I was having. Not suggesting this is the problem with your computer but maybe there is an app or something in there that is putting stress on the CPU. Good luck sorting it out!

Apple may be able check it remotely, and get system dumps to see what is eating up CPU power. I updated to Big Sur on a 2015 mac pro 12 core. Logic seems to be running better for me. Less cpu issues.

Shut of spotlight indexing, shut off wifi. do not run any other apps.

but that's just it; you shouldn't have to shut off anything; i used to do that (wifi, close apps), but on a 2019 macbook pro, logic should work without issue. so yeah, talk to apple.