Interchangeable Studio - iMac and M1 MacBook Air

facej

I figured this could use its own topic.

My goal is to be able to run my studio from my iMac (and Mac mini, and laptop) with all the gear and Dante AOIP. That has been working fine for a few years. In theory I can plug all of the studio gear in to an OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock and have things work from the iMac or the laptop.

At the moment things are working as expected - one cable from the dock to the laptop and the laptop gets all the devices (advisable to shut down the iMac first).

Sonarworks (beta) is working on the M1 laptop - huge benefit - I have profiles for the listening position.

Beyond expected "not ready yet" software issues my only real struggle was getting the Ethernet network to work properly when connecting it to the dock. I wound up configuring the dock/Ethernet manually, with no WiFi turned on and was able to get the iMac to boot and use the Ethernet. I can flip on the WiFi if needed, but it's really not necessary most of the time. The crux of the matter is not using the built-in Ethernet port on the iMac. I will need to consider plugging in a second connection for the iMac (tons of ports on the switch) and maybe dedicating it to Dante (AVB?)

The M1 laptop doesn't have a problem getting the wrong network connection - no built-in Ethernet connector.

The audio and MIDI path is

XR18 ->USB->USB-hub-

monitor2USB controller->USB->USB-hub

iLok->USB-hub

the USB-hub connects to the OWC dock

X-Touch->USB->OWC dock

HDD1->USB->OWC dock

Thunderbolt SSD->Thunderbolt->OWC dock

Ethernet->OWC dock

OWC dock->iMac (or laptop) via Thunderbolt 3 cable (.5m)

It all works nicely on my Catalina iMac and Big Sur laptop.

NB - my Thunderbolt SSD holds all the *BIG* sample libraries.

I used to authorize my Waves plugins to the SSD (when it was connected via USB3) but now that the SSD looks like a PCIe device I can't put the Waves licenses on it. I am thinking strongly about just putting a small USB3 stick on the USB hub and authorizing the Waves plugins there - that way I can use the Waves license on either machine...I think I will do that...

• 2 weeks later...
That was easy - Waves nicely moved all my licenses from the computer to the USB stick in about 2 seconds.

Problems just occur if you manage to lose that USB stick!! :lol:

It will also work on any USB drive, so if you have drive you use for projects or store your sound library on you can always use that instead. I actually personally found that a more intelligent way to go, since I can't use Logic without that drive anyway.

There is another alternative you can explore though. For as long as you have a valid WUP you'll get a second license, so you can always put that on a secondary machine. You will need to keep your WUP to date to keep using it, so it's not quite as cool as it seems. On the plus side in means you plugins will be update with the latest performance improvements and compatibility with the latest OS and DAW release. You may just need it for a proper Rosetta-free update for the M1 anyway. Something to keep in mind.

I was using the USB drive that held all my samples. I switched the drive to a PCIe controller (Thunderbolt). No more licenses. Since I'm using a dock to connect all the gear, and for my iLok, I decided that a USB stick next to the iLok was the easier way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
I was using the USB drive that held all my samples. I switched the drive to a PCIe controller (Thunderbolt). No more licenses. Since I'm using a dock to connect all the gear, and for my iLok, I decided that a USB stick next to the iLok was the easier way to go.

Yeah, the ideal solution will be different for everyone. Are you sure it doesn't work on Thunderbolt drive though?? Either way, to doesnt really matter, my main goal was to make you aware of the project/library drive option, which you already were. :wink:

I am sure that Waves won't authorize to a PCIe drive. When it didn't work I contacted Waves support. They said "nope, USB drives only". It's only a minor annoyance. Waves offers a second user/install if products are on a support contract. That annual fee for my tools (about $50?) makes it worthwhile to pay for support and get multiple machines. We'll see how much I use the Waves things.

• 3 weeks later...
I am sure that Waves won't authorize to a PCIe drive. When it didn't work I contacted Waves support. They said "nope, USB drives only". It's only a minor annoyance. Waves offers a second user/install if products are on a support contract. That annual fee for my tools (about $50?) makes it worthwhile to pay for support and get multiple machines. We'll see how much I use the Waves things.

I have it authorised to my internal drive, if thats what you mean by PCie, so I know that works. Or maybe you mean additional drives that you can add to a third party PCIe board which can either be hosted internally or connected externally via Thunderbolt/USB-C connection?!?

Authorized to your "Internal Drive" is not authorized to a PCIe drive. In reality (according to Waves) your internal drive authorization is actually authorized by you network connection.

I mean that you can authorize to a machine (identified by network hardware) or to a USB drive plugged in to the system. An external not-USB drive cannot be used for authorization.

according to Waves..

• 1 month later...