"Relocate sound library" failed ... now remains(!) grayed-out

MikeRobinson

(LogicPro latest, OS/X latest, etc ...)

So, I tried to move my sound library to an external drive. Well, here's what happened:

• I plugged in the new drive, started Logic, and asked to move the sound library. I selected the external drive.

• The process unexpectedly failed with an "OSError -XXX ..."

• Now, even with the external drive properly mounted, "the entire "Sound Library ... Relocate Sound Library" option is now grayed out, even after restart.

In other words, even after restarting the computer, I am now no longer being offered the option to "relocate the sound library" anywhere! The entire menu option is now apparently-permanently grayed out.

Well, I'd do that as long as I can now specify where to put it. That "OSError" error-message looked like it didn't come from Logic because it wasn't graceful (and I didn't catch the code, which, had I done so, I could have interpreted). Guessing "some kind of permissions issue." I think I'll report "grayed out" to Apple as a bug.

Hey, David ... is this link still useful? https://r4nd0m5tuff.wordpress.com/2019/02/28/logic-pro-x-relocate-sound-library-option-greyed-out-when-you-have-existing-symbolic-links/

Suggests that there's a symbolic-link out there that's somehow corrupted ... although I must say that "graying-out the entire menu option" is a very strange way to respond to that! I'm enough of a programmer to know how to fix it, but does this root-cause "ring true" to you as a credible possibility today?

Edited by MikeRobinson

"Well, now, how very interesting!"

Once other Internet threads taught me to hover over(!) this menu item in search of further explanation, I was told that "this option is not available because the current user is not an Administrator!"

First(!) of all, of course, I have never thought ... "in my entire Apple experience" ... to hover over(!) a disabled menu item! That has never been "how it works," since 1984.

Further complicating the situation is the fact that, "the first time, it worked." But then, it crashed-out with a blunt, not-from-Logic, "OSError system dialog."

Sounds like a bug to me, and I'm going to submit it as such. Because there are plenty of users out there who know to pursue their daily affairs as "Limited Users" over their machines!

Because: "While the digital computer sux at 'saying Yes,' it is extremely good at 'saying No!'"

What I logically would have expected, in this case, is a "enter an Administrator password" dialog box. I'm calling this "a bug," and writing it up as such. Because it really can't be anything else.

Also ... as I now pursue this, "gifted as I am with my blah-blah operating system knowledge," I'm rather wondering if I am very soon going to be faced with an "operating-system permissions issue" that I really should not have to encounter.

"Yes, I happen to know enough about 'the Unix command-line'" to be able to navigate myself around this immediate problem ... but, "this is a serious flaw." Obviously ... (card-carrying computer-geek here) ... someone didn't thoroughly consider "permissions." (Stay tuned.)