why is it so difficult to find a keyboard with number pad?

kerochan
Go to solution Solved by kerochan,

Hi

All I want is a computer keyboard (WIRED) high quality that will work with my MAC Book Pro 2015 on EL Capitan.

The Apple A1243 USB Wired Keyboard w/Numeric Keypad does not work at all, I tried it on 4 different computers. So I need to rule that one out.

There must be something!?

Any advice welcome.

The Apple A1243 USB Wired Keyboard w/Numeric Keypad does not work at all, I tried it on 4 different computers. So I need to rule that one out.

As I already said, I have that exact keyboard model, it's worked and continues to work perfectly on multiple Macbook Pros and iMacs for years. It's plug and play, it works fine.

The problem you have is not that this keyboard model doesn't work with Macs, it's that the *one specific keyboard* you have there is most likely faulty.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MQ052LL/A/magic-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-us-english-silver

Lightning cable for charging is also used for wired connection.

works with trackpad as well

Thank you, though it says it needs OS 10.12 or later , how can it work with el capitan?

I have that exact keyboard and the now-yellowish sticker on the box says OSX 10.4.10+, Apple must have updated their website some day and put 10.12 for any reason. Worked on every Mac I bought for the last 10 years. That keyboard asks for a little more current from the USB plug as it's also a 2-port USB hub so maybe try both your USB ports. If not, the keyboard is defective.

Blink

Seems like it must be defective. Strange that it works on neighbour's computer! but none of mine!

anyways, I wont risk buying another used one, and all thats available from Apple is the wireless one that needs 10.12OS

People seem to think it will work fine with OS 10.11 if the lightning cable is always connected. thoughts anyone?

lightning cable makes it wired... but can't say about el cap. the only laptop i still have that has it 2008 macbook is dead and i can't find the charger to test it out :)

Cheers, I am not gonna take the chance.

I will just have to searched for a wired one with numeric keyboard, can see none yet. has to be good quality

UPDATE!

Just incase anyone is in the slightest bit interested!...

I sent back the A1243 keyboard to the seller who is kindly refunding me the money.

For whatever reason, it works on his computer but none of mine.

Meantime I have dug out my old wired black mechanical Apple Keyboard with number pad, works a treat! great to have the numbers for shortcuts too.

Doesn't look as sleek as the A1243 mind you.

• Solution

Just FYI!

I managed to get a sealed boxed wired A1243 keyboard . its plug and play, works perfectly, great to have a number pad for markers,

Anyway, everyone was right, the other one must have been defective, thanks for all your help. I can certainly recommend this keyboard btw! lovely!

• 6 months later...

Hi Everyone

Just to be beware!

I bought the A1243 keyboard a few months back, since using it I have realised its not a UK layout, its some eastern Europe layout, and many of the keys do different functions, at first I put up with it as it looks great, but as the months went by it drove me crazy, until yesterday when I had had enough, I dug out my old M7803 keyboard, and it works like a dream, no second guessing what the keys are gonna do! SO, just be careful if you buy an A1243 wired keyboard, make sure its an English layout. Stay safe everyone