System Overload when most tracks frozen

musikmike

I've been running into this issue lately. I freeze tracks as i go to lower CPU usage, but don't bounce to audio and delete MIDI in case I want to change the synth. I have frozen about 90% of all my Midi tracks (many with 3rd party plugins effects) and still run into playback errors. Any ideas as to why this is happeneing? I still have several audio tracks unfrozen but with minimal processing. Shouldn't freezing the tracks make it so the CPU use is way down? I'll attach a photo. My I/O buffer size is 1024.

Thanks for reading!

Mike

1451387891_ScreenShot2021-01-17at12_11_48AM.thumb.png.7bae01384e1469f4311fb3d62fa38daa.png61658951_ScreenShot2021-01-17at12_11_54AM.thumb.png.6629f5ff5ca56955a9fd0d046571c988.png

Thanks for responding. My specs are:

Macbook Pro (retina, 15", mid 2014), 2.2 GHz intel core i7 processor on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. (I've heard upgrading to Catalina has a whole host of issues I'm scared to download)

Logic 10.5.1.

I've exited those other apps and the problem still persists.

What do you mean by freeze mode? There are different freeze options? I simply right clicked a track, enabled freeze option, and clicked the snowflake on each of the tracks.

Thanks again

Mike

Is the snowflake green, or blue? Green is pre-fader freeze (all plugins on the channel strip), blue is source-only freeze (eg, only the instrument, but not the FX plugins).

Is there a way to choose green or blue? It seems each time I freeze a MIDI track it freezes green and audio tracks freeze blue.

also, reboot, and open ONLY logic, and try to work. make sure no apps are set to open on startup. a reboot flushes the ram, and (as atlas007 points out), other apps eat memory. also, as mentioned: what version logic? what version OS? what mac? how much ram/drive space?...

Macbook Pro (retina, 15", mid 2014),

Processor: 2.2 GHz intel core i7

Memory: 16gb 1600 MHz DDR3

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.

Logic 10.5.1.

When you say reboot you mean restart the computer? And exit any aplpications that may open on start up? Will try this.

also, reboot, and open ONLY logic, and try to work. make sure no apps are set to open on startup. a reboot flushes the ram, and (as atlas007 points out), other apps eat memory. also, as mentioned: what version logic? what version OS? what mac? how much ram/drive space?...

Macbook Pro (retina, 15", mid 2014),

Processor: 2.2 GHz intel core i7

Memory: 16gb 1600 MHz DDR3

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.

Logic 10.5.1.

When you say reboot you mean restart the computer? And exit any aplpications that may open on start up? Will try this.

yes, restart. when you go to the restart menu, UNCHECK "reopen windows..."; better than letting apps open, then quitting them. also check in system preferences>users & groups>login items; make sure apps aren't set to open there.

the idea is to have as little running as possible on a restart (i used to also turn off wifi for a while, to focus on logic), on my previous 2015 macbook pro. a clean restart, then opening ONLY logic allows the cpu, and ram, to be mostly focused ON logic.

Is the snowflake green, or blue? Green is pre-fader freeze (all plugins on the channel strip), blue is source-only freeze (eg, only the instrument, but not the FX plugins).

Is there a way to choose green or blue? It seems each time I freeze a MIDI track it freezes green and audio tracks freeze blue.

Sure. To the manual!

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/lgcpf1cbfd51/mac

In the Track inspector, choose a Freeze mode:

Source Only: Freezes the track signal without any effects plug-ins. When selected, the Freeze button appears blue. This Freeze mode is useful when using processor-intensive software instruments or flex modes.

Pre Fader: Freezes the track signal including all effects plug-ins. When selected, the Freeze button appears green.