AMT8, Unitor & MT4 - M1 driver (Big Sur) [SOLVED]

Ripz
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Does anyone know how to make the midi interface work in Big Sur/Logic X?

The Mac mini does recognize the usb interface when I look in System Report -it states clearly “AMT8 USB” connected.

But Logic and Audio/MIDI setup doesn’t see the interface at all.

I’ve tried to install the “driver” that I downloaded from apple website. But unsuccessful. It says “the driver isn’t needed in the version of OS”

Any solutions?

If you create an external MIDI track in Logic, what do you see in the Library?

I can’t remember, I’ll take a look next time I’m at the studio.

What I remember is that it’s like not even connected when I’m in Logic or in MIDI Studio. But the computer sees the connection. So my unit is not dead. Someone else has described the exact same problem at Apple’s forum. Apple however told the person to ask around in their forum as they themselves couldn’t help him.

Was the AMT8 unit connected and powered on when you installed the driver?

I’m pretty sure it was ON the whole time I was battling with this issue.

The installer might be outdated though. Or no?

I just tested the unit with my INTEL MacBook Air running Catalina.

Same thing. Only detected via System Report.

Could it be a usb cable issue?

I tried with a different cable, no difference. Both cables are very old, maybe they’re usb 1.0. However, Mac OS is reading the unit but not in MIDI Studio

UPDATE on Intel MacBook Air.

I got it working on my laptop now.

I manually transferred the midi driver (Unitor Family Driverw 2.5) to /User/Library/Audio/MIDI Drives and it worked right away without restart.

It's also showing in Midi Studio.

Did the same thing on my M1, but no luck :(

@Ripz I'm in the same boat chugging along with my old 2012 intel iMac but looking forward to trying out the M1 MBP.

I'm confident given that OS recognises the device, that a native driver will be forth coming in the next couple of months, it is actually amazing that the AMT8 is supported over 20 years on, the only thing I would ask for is more of the Unitor8/AMT control panel functionality into the LP preferences.

I left feedback suggest you do the same - Logic Pro > Provide Logic Pro Feedback

I doubt it will be announced in the OS release notes but probably mentioned in the next LP release notes. The driver could be delivered via various means and from memory in the past 5 years it didn't require the user to download.

Nothing is guaranteed but I am still quietly confident

1. Many Emagic guys worked for, or are still working at Apple, I'm sure some still have hardware synths and use AMT/Unitor8 and will request the current development team support AMT8/Unitor 8.

2. Another encouraging sign, look at: File>Project Settings>Synchronisation>Unitor , all the Unitor timecode settings are still there in 10.6.1, they haven't been removed.

So I haven't given up hope yet!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apple like to say that supporting new OS's is no big deal and is a task developers need to do - it would be nice if they could back that up by supporting their legacy emagic devices with a new compatible driver, rather than making existing super-useful devices that are working perfectly into door stops when going to the new Macs... We've had a long life out of them, perhaps longer than most other similar interfaces, but I'd like to continue to use them for a while longer if possible.

Hopefully they are working on it amongst their many to-do items, I'm sure the transition isn't easy for the devs either...

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using a little mt4 for gosh, 20 yrs now? Anyway, same exact problem as everyone else on the thread: it won't work with my M1 Mac Mini. It's recognized by System Profiler, but not by Audio MIDI Setup, Logic, or anything else. Been hoping for a fix on this since February. I think I'm finally just going to have to buy a new MIDI interface.

Anybody having success on Apple Silicon chips with any MIDI interfaces? How are those iConnectivity pieces? Whatever I end up with, I'd like to think it can last as long as my otherwise venerable mt4.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
UPDATE on Intel MacBook Air.

I got it working on my laptop now.

I manually transferred the midi driver (Unitor Family Driverw 2.5) to /User/Library/Audio/MIDI Drives and it worked right away without restart.

It's also showing in Midi Studio.

Did the same thing on my M1, but no luck :(

I can confirm this works (on Intel). If you don't have the driver file by itself you can find it inside the installer pkg (Show Package Contents) >Contents>Archive.pax.gz. That will expand into a Library Folder with the .plugin file a couple of folders deep.