A technical support community for Apple Logic Pro users.

 
Prem Nath
Topic Author
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:02 pm

JmcL718 wrote:
I am using the M1. I’m feeling pretty good about it so far. One problem is my MPC’s software doesn’t completely work with BIg Sur yet. Another monitor I bought was unable to work with it. I’m guessing there’s a number of devices that require updates to coordinate with the new architecture. Here’s a video that might help you understand the chip better.

https://youtu.be/W3zabsRfT8c


What’s MPC.
 
Prem Nath
Topic Author
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:04 pm

redgreenblue wrote:
I haven't had my hands on a 2020 MacBook Air, but I've been super unimpressed with the 2018-2019 models. My clients generally hate them and we end up having to replace them. I loved my 2012 11" for Logic, but until the M1 I wouldn't have considered buying another Air. (I do Macs for a living)


Ah I see. I presume you feel the same way about the 2017 model?
 
JmcL718
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:47 am

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:17 pm

The MPC is a sampler. It’s not completely supported by BIg Sur yet. I can’t connect the hardware with the computer software via USB at the moment. I can only do though midi. It’s just a pain. Not that big of a deal.
 
Prem Nath
Topic Author
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:25 pm

JmcL718 wrote:
The MPC is a sampler. It’s not completely supported by BIg Sur yet. I can’t connect the hardware with the computer software via USB at the moment. I can only do though midi. It’s just a pain. Not that big of a deal.


Is it a Big Sur issue or an M1 issue
 
JmcL718
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:47 am

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:11 pm

That’s a really good question. I don’t know. I see what your saying. It might just be the OS.
 
User avatar
Glenn Lancaster
Posts: 1190
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:06 pm
Location: The Windmills of my Mind

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:56 am

Prem Nath wrote:
Glenn Lancaster wrote:
The cheapest alternative in a macbook is the new M1 Air. The CPU is the same, one less GPU core, but no fan. From what you describe, it would handle what you want to do with ease. I have one of the new Minis. Basic model, 8 gb RAM. It almost makes the computer in my signature seem sluggish, in fact scratch the 'almost.' The MB Air is under $1000 afaik.


When you say one of the new minis you mean the M1?


Yes. I am very impressed with it so far. This unit I bought for my wife, but I thought I'd see how the new M1 chip performs with Logic in its most basic configuration. Apple has hit a homerun with these new processors.
2020 M1 Mini, macOS 11.4, Logic 10.6.3, RME FF802, Novation 61SL Mk II. Martins and Fenders and Gibsons, oh my!
 
User avatar
Glenn Lancaster
Posts: 1190
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:06 pm
Location: The Windmills of my Mind

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:04 am

I have had zero issues connecting my peripherals, but they are minimal. My Novation midi controller worked right away, my TimeMachine disk showed up, my RME Fireface 802 works perfectly.

Prem Nath wrote:
On another note, what have you folks’ experiences been with hardware and software compatibilities on the M1 machines.

Am asking mostly out of academic curiosity.

Just checked out Things 3 they are saying they’re good.

Logic I presume is fine.

What about the MS suite.

Focusrite?

Gimp?
2020 M1 Mini, macOS 11.4, Logic 10.6.3, RME FF802, Novation 61SL Mk II. Martins and Fenders and Gibsons, oh my!
 
Prem Nath
Topic Author
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:57 am

Thanks.
 
MikeRobinson
Posts: 1096
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:42 pm
Location: Just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA.

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:25 am

I know too many folks who have encountered heat problems with the "Air" models. If all you're ever doing is surfing the net, you're never going to tax any of the silicon enough to cause it to heat-up, but if you're rendering things (be it music or video or CG or any of the above), you definitely will. And, if there's anything in this world that is "death to silicon," as well as "the great de-stabilizer," it would be heat.

(Goes without saying that you buy the maximum-duration AppleCare® bumper-to-bumper warranty on everything you get.)
Mike Robinson
"I wanna quit being a computer consultant and become a composer and arranger at age fifty-nevermind."
Logic Pro X, MacBook Pro, 88-key MIDI controller.
Just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA
 
MikeRobinson
Posts: 1096
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:42 pm
Location: Just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA.

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:45 am

Another thing worth re-mentioning here is: "freeze and bounce." These are procedures which pre-calculate portions of your project to create audio-only tracks to stand-in for them. Logic's designers have poured a lot of effort into both facilities to make them very easy to use. (You might need to turn the "freeze" button on ...)

The key advantage is that Logic no longer has to do the work "in real time." It can focus just on what you've given it to freeze or bounce, and, if it takes "1.01 seconds" to calculate "1.00 seconds' worth" of that material, that's no longer cause for a System Overload. As it otherwise would be. Once the audio has been generated, Logic has only to play that audio, which takes essentially-zero resources but sounds exactly the same.

It does encourage you to "plan ahead," instead of just creating 100 tracks and seeing if your system can take it. :) You work on a single aspect of your song, freeze or bounce it, and move on to the next one – treating the thing more like an "audio project." It's completely non-destructive – you can re-do anything anytime – and it helps you to think, and plan, how the various aspects of the sound are going to fit and work together.

Really, the only "hardware-limited factor" is (a) how much work the computer has to do "at once," and (b) having to do it "in real time." Freeze/Bounce lets you easily bypass both restrictions without seriously cramping your style.

When buying a new computer, I consider memory to be the most important thing to "maximize." Buy as much RAM as you can, so that you can drive your computer down a many-lane highway.
Mike Robinson
"I wanna quit being a computer consultant and become a composer and arranger at age fifty-nevermind."
Logic Pro X, MacBook Pro, 88-key MIDI controller.
Just south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA
 
JmcL718
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:47 am

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:19 am

I regret only getting 8 gigabytes. It would have taken a month or more to get the 16 gigabytes of RAM. It’s hardwired so there’s no way to upgrade after a purchase. It’s doing everything I ask of it so far.
 
Prem Nath
Topic Author
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:35 pm

MikeRobinson wrote:
I know too many folks who have encountered heat problems with the "Air" models. If all you're ever doing is surfing the net, you're never going to tax any of the silicon enough to cause it to heat-up, but if you're rendering things (be it music or video or CG or any of the above), you definitely will. And, if there's anything in this world that is "death to silicon," as well as "the great de-stabilizer," it would be heat.

(Goes without saying that you buy the maximum-duration AppleCare® bumper-to-bumper warranty on everything you get.)


This is a documented problem in the M1 Air as well? Worrying right? Everywhere I look there are people saying the Airs are not serious machines. But I thought the M1 didn’t have that issue.
 
Prem Nath
Topic Author
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:35 pm

MikeRobinson wrote:
Another thing worth re-mentioning here is: "freeze and bounce." These are procedures which pre-calculate portions of your project to create audio-only tracks to stand-in for them. Logic's designers have poured a lot of effort into both facilities to make them very easy to use. (You might need to turn the "freeze" button on ...)

The key advantage is that Logic no longer has to do the work "in real time." It can focus just on what you've given it to freeze or bounce, and, if it takes "1.01 seconds" to calculate "1.00 seconds' worth" of that material, that's no longer cause for a System Overload. As it otherwise would be. Once the audio has been generated, Logic has only to play that audio, which takes essentially-zero resources but sounds exactly the same.

It does encourage you to "plan ahead," instead of just creating 100 tracks and seeing if your system can take it. :) You work on a single aspect of your song, freeze or bounce it, and move on to the next one – treating the thing more like an "audio project." It's completely non-destructive – you can re-do anything anytime – and it helps you to think, and plan, how the various aspects of the sound are going to fit and work together.

Really, the only "hardware-limited factor" is (a) how much work the computer has to do "at once," and (b) having to do it "in real time." Freeze/Bounce lets you easily bypass both restrictions without seriously cramping your style.

When buying a new computer, I consider memory to be the most important thing to "maximize." Buy as much RAM as you can, so that you can drive your computer down a many-lane highway.


Yes thanks for that.
 
Prem Nath
Topic Author
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:38 pm

JmcL718 wrote:
I regret only getting 8 gigabytes. It would have taken a month or more to get the 16 gigabytes of RAM. It’s hardwired so there’s no way to upgrade after a purchase. It’s doing everything I ask of it so far.


The M1 Air right? Is it struggling. Do you have lots of tracks and plugins.
 
facej
Posts: 576
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:34 pm

MacBook Air heat problems that "many" users have, are probably not M1 MBAs. The M1 MBA does CPU throttling to control heat when doing long renders.

I can find no specific evidence of M1 MBA heat problems. I can certainly consider Intel MBA heat problems - my wife's 2020 Intel MBA lights up the fans and gets warm on a regular basis.

My M1 MBA? I can barely get it to go from "cool aluminum" to "room temperature" when running long video conversions. Audio? not a problem yet.

Citations would point us in a direction other than FUD.
Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Logic Pro 10.6.3
OS X 10.15.7, macOS 11.5
iMac19,1 27" - 3.6 GHz Intel 8 Core i9 - 40GB memory - MacBook Air - 3.2 GHz M1 - 16GB memory - 1TB SSD
Behringer XR18 - Behringer X-Touch - iPad Pro 10.5" iOS 14.5
Logic Pro Command of the Day
 
Prem Nath
Topic Author
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:11 pm

facej wrote:
MacBook Air heat problems that "many" users have, are probably not M1 MBAs. The M1 MBA does CPU throttling to control heat when doing long renders.

I can find no specific evidence of M1 MBA heat problems. I can certainly consider Intel MBA heat problems - my wife's 2020 Intel MBA lights up the fans and gets warm on a regular basis.

My M1 MBA? I can barely get it to go from "cool aluminum" to "room temperature" when running long video conversions. Audio? not a problem yet.

Citations would point us in a direction other than FUD.


I thought cpu throttling was a bad thing. What am I missing here.
 
JmcL718
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:47 am

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:07 pm

I have the M1 mini. It hasn’t struggled so far. I’m not going crazy with plugins. Check out the YouTube link I gave earlier in the thread. The guy who posted it pushes and M1 MAC to its limit. It has 8 processors , 4 heavy hitters and 4 average strength. He explains a little how they divide they all share the load.
 
Prem Nath
Topic Author
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:31 pm

JmcL718 wrote:
I have the M1 mini. It hasn’t struggled so far. I’m not going crazy with plugins. Check out the YouTube link I gave earlier in the thread. The guy who posted it pushes and M1 MAC to its limit. It has 8 processors , 4 heavy hitters and 4 average strength. He explains a little how they divide they all share the load.


Will do thanks. Did you figure out if your issue is Big Sur or M1.
 
User avatar
Ploki
Posts: 4529
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Slovenia
Contact:

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:20 am

Fan on my 13" MBP is off most of the time while running a 4K external screen.
Fan off = Air.
I dont regret getting the pro instead of Air at all, but judging by the performance of the Pro, the Air is nothing to sneeze at.
<desktop pending> | 13" M1 Pro | Big Sur 11.1 | Logic 10.6.1
RME FireFace 800 / UFX+ | ROLI Seaboard RISE 25 | ROLI Blocks | nOb Control | StreamDeck
 
JmcL718
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:47 am

Re: Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:19 am

A portable monitor I bought had firmware that didn’t support Big Sur and my MPC One firmware doesn’t completely coordinate with it. Those are my issues so far.