remote controlling a 14bit fader with CC?

ratperson73134

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I have successfully configured a 14bit fader in the Logic environment to send SysEx messages to control the BPM on my Elektron Monomachine. The reason is I don't use the MnM's internal sequencer, messing with the BPM gives some interesting results when applying very short delay times. (My MIDI sequencer is Five12 Numerology. I've got a Logic environment setup strictly for SysEx control of various synths and it's worked great so far, but I've never had to deal with 14bit SysEx before.)

The range is a bit weird: 721 to 7200. (Logic will not let me set the minimum to 721; when I try, it sets the fader to some negative value). Values 0-720 don't have any effect on the MnM's BPM.

The message is:

F0 00 20 3C 03 61 VAL VAL F7

(value: MSB/LSB)

Now my question is, how do I make my SysEx fader receive messages coming from a CC controller across its entire useful range? Ideally I'd want a CC value of 0 to map to 721, and 127 to 7200 and everything in-between to be evenly distributed.

If I keep the fader's "Filter" setting to 14bit, I can get a second fader to remote control it (the mapping is all weird: CC value 56 corresponds to 7200 and everything above 56 is out of range), but no SysEx message is sent at all.

Is there a way to create a map of 128 predefined SysEx strings and make a fader send those instead? Figuring those values out with MIDI Monitor is pretty simple, if time-consuming.

I have successfully configured a 14bit fader in the Logic environment to send SysEx messages to control the BPM on my Elektron Monomachine. The reason is I don't use the MnM's internal sequencer, messing with the BPM gives some interesting results when applying very short delay times. (My MIDI sequencer is Five12 Numerology. I've got a Logic environment setup strictly for SysEx control of various synths and it's worked great so far, but I've never had to deal with 14bit SysEx before.)

The range is a bit weird: 721 to 7200. (Logic will not let me set the minimum to 721; when I try, it sets the fader to some negative value). Values 0-720 don't have any effect on the MnM's BPM.

The message is:

Now my question is, how do I make my SysEx fader receive messages coming from a CC controller across its entire useful range? Ideally I'd want a CC value of 0 to map to 721, and 127 to 7200 and everything in-between to be evenly distributed.

If I keep the fader's "Filter" setting to 14bit, I can get a second fader to remote control it (the mapping is all weird: CC value 56 corresponds to 7200 and everything above 56 is out of range), but no SysEx message is sent at all.

Is there a way to create a map of 128 predefined SysEx strings and make a fader send those instead? Figuring those values out with MIDI Monitor is pretty simple, if time-consuming.

I haven't tried this but I think it's the solution you're look for.

viewtopic.php?t=90884

The message is:

Did you see this too?

https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/fader-functions-filter-lgcp7d20b23a/mac

I haven't tried this but I think it's the solution you're look for.

viewtopic.php?t=90884

I did see that and it did help to at least create the SysEx fader I want to automate, but I want more than the ability to manually operate that fader inside the environment window. I want to use Logic as CC to SysEx converter that I don't even have to look at once it's set up.

In other words, I've been able to create a fader that works, but is useless to me as such since I can't seem to automate it via MIDI. And to be clear, automating within the Logic timeline is not what I'm trying to do here.

I've tried changing the fader to receive pitch bend messages, same deal: the fader appears to move in the environment window, but no messages are sent.

• 2 weeks later...