How to keep using 32bit instruments-workarounds?

rikki rivett

Hi! I can see I'll have to go with Catalina sooner or later, but I have a bunch of instruments I'd like to still be able to use occasionally if neccessary, for instance, when opening older projects.

I can always keep an older system, say, 10.12/10.13 on an external drive; but is anyone using some kind of virtual environment which enables using 32-bit instruments via some additional program or host?

Thanks

RR

what i do when i get rid of a synth plugin (i change my setup regularly); i bounce-to-disk the part from that plugin, AND keep the original midi track (in case i want to try a new synth with that part). it's a lot of work, so i'm pretty selective about what i save as an audiofile. fwiw, it's a lot of FUN to find new synths for old parts.

just my process, but perhaps worth considering.

you could check Tone2 software, developed by Markus Krause - guy who did DSP for vanguard. Saurus, Electra, Gladiator maybe.

I do what Fisher King does. sold a lot of things over the years.

I've not settled with u-he mostly. (+ Spire and Chromaphone, and nothing else)

usually i dont even bother bouncing. If the project isn't finished, i can be arsed to make it work again.

@Ploki, thx, appreciate the suggestion- I actually checked out Tone2 but TBH the synths are too expensive for something I might just use occasionally. Vanguard is a really cool synth and I have some great presets from Frank Genus (Pro Sounds) which just *work* -one bass sound in particular which is just great for producing TV music. I could sample them though....*when* I go to 10.15 and get the latest Logic version hahaha!!!!

There's a thread here regarding using 32bit instruments.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97085

Don't use a virtual setup, the virtual even when it's idle, the OS is stil using the CPU.

If you have a physical other computer, a Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 kind of setup would be better.

I use a iConnectMIDI2+ and can connect both computers via the iConnectMIDI2+ digital interface, no networking.

Then using the External Instrument, I can send midi and receive the audio from my 2nd computer.

On the second computer, I can use FL Studio, GarageBand, Studio One or Logic.

Sample the presets into EXS24 with MainStage (I don't have an OS to comment on Sampler and Quick Sampler, I will once I get my MacMini M1).

By sampling I get the preset, there's no CPU usage when compared to the original instrument preset, since it's a sample of the preset.

If the preset has Reverb, or some kind of motion effect, I leave that off as well and use matching effects in Logic.

I did this not because of a 32bit issue, but a 64bit issue with instruments that developers are not going to upgrade to later OSX's, namely AAS Tassman and Albino 3

I have some LinPlugs as well.