Can I work from a Logic file in iCloud Drive?

JoshJ

Just saying, that although David and Fisherking’s comments are 100% accurate, in practice I keep my studio machines and Home studio machines in sync (files and backup that is) by using this exact method (except using Dropbox). I have all my projects stored within the DB folder structure and never had a problem. I have using doing this for many years. The only “strain” I would say is the upload/download activity but here in Australia that doesn’t pose a problem as out speeds and bandwidth are pretty hip

I have to chime in here. iCloud Drive files are entirely stored on your computer, in the iCloud Drive location which is somewhere on your Mac hard drive. When you read it, or write it, it happens to your local, internal drive. At some point in time the bits and bytes that comprise the files will be "mirrored" in the cloud (copied over the network) but the file, essentially, exists on your hard drive.

It's not a backup. If you delete the file, it deletes "everywhere". In rare cases a file *may* be stored only in the cloud, but an actively used file resides on your disk.

The convenience (like for me) is that I can work on the same project from multiple Macs (not at the same time) and be using "the same file". All of this assumes that I have a network connection that can update the shared file in a reasonable amount of time (I can - gigabit fiber).

The best description I can come up with is that the file exists in multiple places at the same time, and, assuming infinite network speed, it is always up-to-date

You certainly can use iCloud Drive for projects. Just be aware that the data live on your internal drive, and in the cloud. If you work on the project on multiple Macs then the synchronization of the bits becomes something to deal with.

NB Microsoft One Drive (can be used in a similar fashion) has some file naming rules that can give you fits depending on what Logic does. When saving projects to "the cloud" project folders seem to be a fair bit better than "projects".

To answer the original question

It will constantly be uploading data to the cloud. You should never have to download it since the project lives on your internal drive. Not recommended if you use HDD as opposed to SSD.