new macbook with extra ports 2021?

kerochan

rumors are rumors, and could turn into facts... or not. and apple is apple, never revealing anything in advance. still, considering the current macbook pros... seems reasonable to expect numerous ports in the next version.

really, we won't know until we get there.

Yep, I guess you're right!

Seems crazy to have a portable computer that you need to carry a hub to use, an external hard drive/ilok etc!

Crazy? Not really, the existing ones are mostly consumer grade machines. We are the edge cases of even the pro users, and we have a ton of stuff to connect, but a bit proportion of consumer users wouldn't be able to identify the end of a USB cable if you poked them in the eye with one...

We just need to wait and see what will happen. I'm always skeptical when the rumours suggest people will get *everything* they've been asking for...

how many ports does one need on a portable system? i run my ilok as software only; so i need a keyboard/controller, an audio interface, power, and...??? right there, 3 ports (and 1 left over for whatever).

easy to connect a hub when you're in one place (ie external drives, other controllers, etc). but if you're travelling with your MBP (i always did that), what more do you need than what i listed above? (am asking, really!).

how many ports does one need on a portable system? i run my ilok as software only; so i need a keyboard/controller, an audio interface, power, and...??? right there, 3 ports (and 1 left over for whatever).

easy to connect a hub when you're in one place (ie external drives, other controllers, etc). but if you're travelling with your MBP (i always did that), what more do you need than what i listed above? (am asking, really!).

Well, ilok for one, for my Pro Tools version anyways

Then all my external drives are USB3, and I wanna take a little midi USB keyboard too

This is just 3 things I know foo the top of my head

Then all my external drives are USB3, and I wanna take a little midi USB keyboard too

ilok can work as software only, i much prefer that. and if you're working mobile, why do you need external drive? and how many are we talking about? the whole point of a laptop is portablility, so why not have a more-minimal setup for travel?...

ilok can work as software only, i much prefer that. and if you're working mobile, why do you need external drive? and how many are we talking about? the whole point of a laptop is portablility, so why not have a more-minimal setup for travel?...

Yep thats a good point about keeping it more minimal for travel, I can just copy wahtever from the external drive and work on the laptop and transfer it later, good point. I think ilok Cloud is only working with Pro Tools 18 or later. And I have heard mixed reports about Cloud/ilok. I know you are one of the lucky ones regarding lack of software problems!

Yep thats a good point about keeping it more minimal for travel, I can just copy wahtever from the external drive and work on the laptop and transfer it later, good point. I think ilok Cloud is only working with Pro Tools 18 or later. And I have heard mixed reports about Cloud/ilok. I know you are one of the lucky ones regarding lack of software problems!

believe me, i've had my share of software issues. but the software ilok has never given me a problem. no idea about PT, and which versions are not supported; might be worth investigating with ilok, or avid.

i used to do all my work on my macbook pro, then later, at home, archive finished projects to an external drive... so always room for new work on the MBP.

EDIT: some years ago, i worked with someone (let's call him 'glen'... haha his real name). glen was a firm believer in a portable setup. so, he carried: a 15" macbook pro, a mouse, a small m-audio keyboard, an audio interface, a pad controller, an ilok, that dongle for nexus, several external drives, headphones and powered speakers... plus, of course, ac extension cords, 2 hubs, ETC ETC. all in a huge briefcase. i found that hysterical. but it worked for him. so, really.... whatever works...

believe me, i've had my share of software issues. but the software ilok has never given me a problem. no idea about PT, and which versions are not supported; might be worth investigating with ilok, or avid.

i used to do all my work on my macbook pro, then later, at home, archive finished projects to an external drive... so always room for new work on the MBP.

EDIT: some years ago, i worked with someone (let's call him 'glen'... haha his real name). glen was a firm believer in a portable setup. so, he carried: a 15" macbook pro, a mouse, a small m-audio keyboard, an audio interface, a pad controller, an ilok, that dongle for nexus, several external drives, headphones and powered speakers... plus, of course, ac extension cords, 2 hubs, ETC ETC. all in a huge briefcase. i found that hysterical. but it worked for him. so, really.... whatever works...

Really hope this is the case, as my next MAIN computer may be a Macbook Pro/AIir

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/01/28/macbook-pro-no-more-dongles/

iLok Cloud is not the same as Machine Activation. And Pro Tools doesn't support the latter.

I also have all my iLok plugs activated as machine activation, not Cloud or Dongle.

If USB3.0 port happens, happens.

If MagSafe happens, it happens.

I don't really miss either on my M1 MacBook Pro.

I would miss charging it via dock - a lot, so i hope they keep that option if they go back to magsafes.