Collaborate with two machines in one Logic session

jmoo711

Hello anyone who can help! I have done a fair amount of searching on Google and different forums, but I can't really find a clear answer for what I'm trying to do.

I have a Mac Pro that I would like to have Logic Pro X open on and act as the master computer/project and a Macbook attached to an electronic drum kit with Logic Pro X running as well that I would like to be the slave.

I want to be able to use the Macbook attached to the drum set to scroll through different drum kits and then have them connect into the master project on the Pro, which would also feed audio out to some speakers. All I could accomplish is the drum kit could act as a MIDI controller for whatever instrument I had selected on the master via Audio Midi Network setup and an ethernet connection between the two. This is basically the same as just hooking the drum set up directly to the master via USB though.

Is what I'm trying to do possible? Am I thinking about what I'm trying to do incorrectly?

Overall I just want to be able to switch my drum kit around while someone else can play keyboard on the master machine and be able to have all audio come out of the master. Collaborating with two machines, both with different instrument sets. It would also be AMAZING if I could hit record on the slave computer and it would initiate the record on the master.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

• 3 months later...
Reading this for the second time is just as confusing as the first time. You want to switch drum kits. Where are these ? On the module ? The slave ? The master ? You want the slave to be completely separate from the master, yet you want to control the master from the slave ? Sorry, I'm not getting it.

I suppose I understand that you want the master to host the Logic project, while the slave hosts a secondary Logic project with only the drum kit instruments for your electronic drum kit controller, so that you can keep it next to your drums and easily swap the drum kit instruments or patches. Then have the audio from your drum kit be routed to a channel strip onto the master hosting the Logic project.

Is that correct?

• 6 months later...

Sheesh, I hate that it took me 6 months to see this. Going to have to turn on my notification emails!! Yes, this is exactly my use case.

I see the reply above about the iPad remote. Not familiar with this. Is that baked in functionality in Logic?

I suppose I understand that you want the master to host the Logic project, while the slave hosts a secondary Logic project with only the drum kit instruments for your electronic drum kit controller, so that you can keep it next to your drums and easily swap the drum kit instruments or patches. Then have the audio from your drum kit be routed to a channel strip onto the master hosting the Logic project.

Is that correct?