Less mouse, more keyboard...

Nola111

Hi,

I am on my continued, gradual quest to try only to use the mouse/trackpad when absolutely necessary. I have a question on whether these two functions are possible solely using the computer keyboard:

1. Select into and adjust parameters for the Region and Track sections of the main Inspector.

2. In the mixer, make adjustments/changes to the components of a channel (for example, key into the Input and change its setting, or key into the Audio Fx box and instantiate a plugin).

Thanks!

Hi!

If a key command exists for a given task, just learn the key command ;-)

If not, well you have to use the mouse.

Another thing you can do is CTRL+F2 to get access to the global menus with the keyboard arrows.

Or… get a control surface like, say , an MCU but even with an MCU you’ll have to use the mouse/keyboard/trackpad for some tasks.

I think most of the Logic users will tell you that an MCU or a clone like an X-Touch - if you have the budget to get one and the time and patience to learn it - is most useful when mixing and for writing automation but not so useful when recording.

And let’s face it, have you ever seen a youtube Logic tutorial where the performer is using only the keyboard or even just a control surface to get the job done?

Hi!

If a key command exists for a given task, just learn the key command ;-)

If not, well you have to use the mouse.

Another thing you can do is CTRL+F2 to get access to the global menus with the keyboard arrows.

Or… get a control surface like, say , an MCU but even with an MCU you’ll have to use the mouse/keyboard/trackpad for some tasks.

I think most of the Logic users will tell you that an MCU or a clone like an X-Touch - if you have the budget to get one and the time and patience to learn it - is most useful when mixing and for writing automation but not so useful when recording.

And let’s face it, have you ever seen a youtube Logic tutorial where the performer is using only the keyboard or even just a control surface to get the job done?

Thanks for your reply. The idea is definitely to keep two hands on the keyboard whenever possible. I know everyone in YouTube videos uses the mouse, and that's fine, I still use the mouse too (b/c there are things you simply can't do without it) but as the title says, I'm just trying to get to less mouse. A control surface just adds more hardware I need to move my hands to, and plus I don't think a control surface will allow me to do either of the two items from my post.

1 you can't do with anything other than the mouse (unless you rig something up with Keyboard Maestro).

2 you can't really load plugins or do that kind of mixer stuff from the keyboard (alas!). You can do a lot of it via an MCU, including selecting and loading plugins, but honestly, the interface to do this is not ideal (even when customised) and it's really quicker, easier and more predictable to much of this stuff using the mouse + keyboard combo.

I agree that YouVideos seem to absolutely be mouse clicking everything, which seems dreadfully slow and tedious to me, but partly because hardware control interfaces to meaningfully control plugins are thin on the ground. With a good controller setup, you can be more hands on and use less mouse to do the stuff where it really counts.

I've even been known to turn the monitor off while mixing, to stop the screen interfering with your ears, and it's really a great thing that's much missed in todays DAW-centric world.

The key is to really find a balance and a workflow that's works best for you. For some people, that's doing everything by the mouse - even playing keyboards etc(!). For others, Logic is merely a recorder, and they are playing their instruments for the most part. And everything in between.

Edited by des99

I'm on a constant quest to use the mouse and keyboard as little as possible. To that end I use a couple of iPads, a Novation Remote SL Zero (Automap lets you program keyboard commands on to the controls) and now a MorningStar MC8 pedal, which can now do keyboard commands. I'll have to get rid of Automap if/when I ever update and replace it with Keyboard Maestro.

If you find yourself constantly reaching for keyboard/mouse for a function make a note what it is and then search the Keyboard Commands menu to see if you can assign that to something.

If you don't have an iPad consider one (or three) because that can make the flow much smoother, each iPad can have completely different commands.

Edited by redgreenblue

1. Select into and adjust parameters for the Region and Track sections of the main Inspector.

There's a key command to Show/Hide the Region Inspector, search for it in the key commands window.

2. In the mixer, make adjustments/changes to the components of a channel (for example, key into the Input and change its setting, or key into the Audio Fx box and instantiate a plugin).

There's no key command for this.

There's a key command to Show/Hide the Region Inspector, search for it in the key commands window.

Are you just talking about the letter "I" to Show/Hide the Inspector? That's not what I'm asking for. I've searched the Key Commands menu for all shortcuts containing the word "Inspector" just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

The real problem is that the inspectors aren't your typical objects in windows. A little bit of help can be had with these commands

•Increase Last Clicked Parameter by 1	=	
•Decrease Last Clicked Parameter by 1	-	
•Increase Last Clicked Parameter by 10	⇧=	
•Decrease Last Clicked Parameter by 10	⇧-	

Once you click in an area that takes numeric input, and enter a value, you can keyboard it up or down, but no way to select the entry field.

Doesn't solve the other navigation problems.

If you tap on the drop-down menu arrows on things like inserts, or tap in the area to add an insert you can use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate.

Same goes for tapping on plug-in preset menu...tap on the arrow, menu drops down, use the mouse to navigate.

I have fooled around some with 'Voice Control' and had some success navigating plug-in selection, but saying "Single Click, Move Down, Move Down...press 1" is horribly slow.

When I use my iMac I drive Logic with my right hand on the trackpad, left hand for the keyboard.

When I use my laptop the trackpad (new, modern, *magic*, and large) I never really take my hands away from the keyboard. I just have to teach my thumbs to navigate better.

Are you just talking about the letter "I" to Show/Hide the Inspector? That's not what I'm asking for. I've searched the Key Commands menu for all shortcuts containing the word "Inspector" just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Kind of, it's like a little mini Inspector that pops out. Just thought this would make it easier to input values rather than having to go all the way to left to click on the Track Inspector.... anyway what is it specifically you're trying to do in the Inspector? Insert Gain values? Fade values?