Axiom Pro 61 and logic 10.5.1 Worth trying to get this to work?

fourthtunz
Go to solution Solved by robinloops,

It stopped working consistently as a control surface some versions ago (I’m on 10.51). Still works for me as a standard midi keyboard though. Someone posted recently about it not working consistently in Catalina even as a midi keyboard, so not sure.

I would venture to guess that the p4 works well since it has a native logic controller emulation mode and is a fairly new device still.

• Solution

Personally I have been wanting a p4 but haven’t checked out anything that has come out in the last year or two. And a major drawback is they only have one motorized fader.

Main thing I would look into with a controller is motorized faders and that they are quiet (noisy motorized faders are worthless). Also motorized faders have to be touch sensitive or they are somewhat useless (I.e. behringer bcf-2000). next thing I would want is a display (preferably over each fader) that dynamically shows what is being controlled).

And most important of all. I would only get a controller that has native Logic Control emulation mode. Anything that requires a wrapper or third party software to work with logic is hit and miss because at some point the company will stop updating the wrapper/software and it becomes obsolete. Anything logic sees as a Logic Control will work as long as logic supports that protocol and the OS supports it.

I own and use a P6, it's a good middle ground in price between controller keyboards that can't do much with Logic beyond basic transport and level and pans for the mixer and a Mackie Control plus the keyboard of your choice.

With certain devices you end up with very deep menus on the P4/6 to wade through, but any automatable parameter in any instrument or audio effect is reachable for real time tweaking, there is instant access to Smart Controls, and sophisticated transport control with control of markers, metronome, autopunch and loop points. The factory devices (except the new Sampler and Quick Sampler) are fully mapped, but not third party plugins. Devices can be loaded into tracks and patches can be selected, but both require scrolling through long lists to do so.

Personally I have been wanting a p4 but haven’t checked out anything that has come out in the last year or two. And a major drawback is they only have one motorized fader.

Main thing I would look into with a controller is motorized faders and that they are quiet (noisy motorized faders are worthless). Also motorized faders have to be touch sensitive or they are somewhat useless (I.e. behringer bcf-2000). next thing I would want is a display (preferably over each fader) that dynamically shows what is being controlled).

And most important of all. I would only get a controller that has native Logic Control emulation mode. Anything that requires a wrapper or third party software to work with logic is hit and miss because at some point the company will stop updating the wrapper/software and it becomes obsolete. Anything logic sees as a Logic Control will work as long as logic supports that protocol and the OS supports it.

Thank you Robin! I've been somewhat spoiled as when I had my studio back in the early 2000's I had the Digidesign control24, which wasn't perfect

but was great for multiple fader rides. I'm just recording myself in a smaller space and would like to have something that I could play keys

with and do fader rides, that fits onto my desk. I'm not much of a keyboard player and the roland ds-61 and axiom pro 61 just take up too much room on my desk.

That P4 looks good if it will work with Logic! And the logic remote on the iPad is great but I've not mastered multiple fader rides with it.

I own and use a P6, it's a good middle ground in price between controller keyboards that can't do much with Logic beyond basic transport and level and pans for the mixer and a Mackie Control plus the keyboard of your choice.

With certain devices you end up with very deep menus on the P4/6 to wade through, but any automatable parameter in any instrument or audio effect is reachable for real time tweaking, there is instant access to Smart Controls, and sophisticated transport control with control of markers, metronome, autopunch and loop points. The factory devices (except the new Sampler and Quick Sampler) are fully mapped, but not third party plugins. Devices can be loaded into tracks and patches can be selected, but both require scrolling through long lists to do so.

ThANKs Enossified that's good to know! Do you use the logic remote as well? I wonder if you could use both depending

on where you are in the mix? How do you like the key bed on the p6? Im not a great keyboard player but do like full size keys

that are not too spongy! thanks!

As far as spongy keys (and key feel in general). There are weighted, semi weighted keys, and synth action (not weighted at all). Weighted will feel more spongy (and also closest to a real piano) while also having the slowest action. Synth action aren’t weighted and feel springy and have very fast action. Semi-weighted are somewhere in the middle and are what the axiom has. As far as finding good reviews based on the action/responsiveness and feel the keys have, look for ‘key bed’ reviews for a particular device.

I'm not a pianist, but did play organ for a while as a kid so the P6 keys feel OK to me. They are somewhat noisy ("clacky") which I know drives some people crazy and the transition to aftertouch is not as smooth as synths I've onwed in the past. So I'd call it "very good for the price" and much better than other controller keyboards I've tried from M-Audio, Novation, Alesis, etc.

As far as Logic Remote, I have an iPhone but no iPad so I only use it for transport and headphone level (using the master fader) when I'm playing far enough away from the P6. All mixing and such is done with the P6.

As far as spongy keys (and key feel in general). There are weighted, semi weighted keys, and synth action (not weighted at all). Weighted will feel more spongy (and also closest to a real piano) while also having the slowest action. Synth action aren’t weighted and feel springy and have very fast action. Semi-weighted are somewhere in the middle and are what the axiom has. As far as finding good reviews based on the action/responsiveness and feel the keys have, look for ‘key bed’ reviews for a particular device.

Thank you Robin! I have the axiom at my vertical workstation if I just want to "bang" the keys I like the feel of it

But I'm not a keyboard player by any means :)

I'm not a pianist, but did play organ for a while as a kid so the P6 keys feel OK to me. They are somewhat noisy ("clacky") which I know drives some people crazy and the transition to aftertouch is not as smooth as synths I've onwed in the past. So I'd call it "very good for the price" and much better than other controller keyboards I've tried from M-Audio, Novation, Alesis, etc.

As far as Logic Remote, I have an iPhone but no iPad so I only use it for transport and headphone level (using the master fader) when I'm playing far enough away from the P6. All mixing and such is done with the P6.

thank you! I'm trying to justify getting a smaller keyboard for my mixing area so I guess the controller aspects are more important.

And the shorter keyboard. I have some 500 racks on my desk so the 61 keys are kind of in the way.

thinking about the P49, Novation 49SL MkIII,and the Akai Professional MPK249...

I really don't want to spend the money so I'll take my time and do more research!

have fun and thanks!

Neither the Novation or Akai will give you much control of Logic outside of transport, mixer vol and pan. By comparison the P4/6 lets you control almost everything.

Check out this video if you haven't already seen it. First half shows instrument control, second half covers mixer, transport, etc. Only Nektar can do this.

Hope this helps.

You can use the rails from a (computer) keyboard slide out tray to make a (MIDI) keyboard slide out tray for your desk. Then the o oh thing you loose is a little leg room under the desk.

Thats a good idea, not sure I could do it here, pretty tight area..hmm have to think about this!

thanks!

Neither the Novation or Akai will give you much control of Logic outside of transport, mixer vol and pan. By comparison the P4/6 lets you control almost everything.

Check out this video if you haven't already seen it. First half shows instrument control, second half covers mixer, transport, etc. Only Nektar can do this.

Hope this helps.

I'll check it out! I would just wonder if logic 10.5.1 broke it though?

Looking at the Nektar t4..that looks pretty cool with the nectarine plug in and lots cheaper too!~

Logic updates don’t break functionality of any controller that has native logic controller emulation. That’s the main benefit of having a controlller that natively send mackie control, logic control, etc. They don’t need wrappers or software or anything to be updated to continue to work. And we can be pretty sure logic will continue to support ‘logic control’ protocol for a long time to come and of it did get broken with an update, would be fixed within a day.

Logic updates don’t break functionality of any controller that has native logic controller emulation. That’s the main benefit of having a controlller that natively send mackie control, logic control, etc. They don’t need wrappers or software or anything to be updated to continue to work. And we can be pretty sure logic will continue to support ‘logic control’ protocol for a long time to come and of it did get broken with an update, would be fixed within a day.

I see well maybe I put it the wrong way it seems like my M audio axiom used to have more functionality with ProTools I just got logic so maybe I’m wrong about it functioning with logic before.

Thank you for the help!

Hope this helps.

I'll check it out! I would just wonder if logic 10.5.1 broke it though?

Looking at the Nektar t4..that looks pretty cool with the nectarine plug in and lots cheaper too!~

I found a P4 for $260 used shipping included or should I get the T4 for $250 new what would you do?

The axiom did used to have full functionality with logic. The reason it doesn’t anymore is because the wrapper no longer works. Hasn’t been updated in ages. The axiom has a logic mode but it does not emulate a logic controller (so you still have to use the axiom bundle to make it work. I was referring to the p4, which has native logic control emulation and installs using the mackie control or logic control that is built into logic and will be upgraded by logic (probably) forever.

That’s why I personally will never by another controller that doesn’t have native logic emulation mode (as in the device itself emulates logic control).

I found a P4 for $260 used shipping included or should I get the T4 for $250 new what would you do?

Personally I'd only buy the T4 if:

--- I use lots of third party plugins and would like the browsing features of Nektarine.

--- I do lots of "finger drumming"...the T4 pads are reportedly more expresive.

--- I am picky about keybed actions, supposedly T4 despite costing less has a "better" action than P4.

--- I want something brand new with a warranty.

Otherwise, I'd buy P4:

--- better display

--- eight more encoders

--- I use the motorized fader all the time

And about that. The first controller I bought (in 2008) still works with logic exactly as it did the day I got it because it has Logic emulation mode. Been through two other controllers since then that no longer work, the axiom being one of them.

Yeah its too bad, I mean it still works great as a keyboard, which the axiom pro is great!

Personally I'd only buy the T4 if:

--- I use lots of third party plugins and would like the browsing features of Nektarine.

--- I do lots of "finger drumming"...the T4 pads are reportedly more expresive.

--- I am picky about keybed actions, supposedly T4 despite costing less has a "better" action than P4.

--- I want something brand new with a warranty.

Otherwise, I'd buy P4:

--- better display

--- eight more encoders

--- I use the motorized fader all the time

Thank you for taking the time! I ended up getting the T4, I found a demo on Sweetwater for $225 with a 2 year warranty so if I don't

like it I'll send it back. The Nectarine plug looks interesting. Thanks again for the help!