Changing the GUI of a Plug-In

djsnake

What up y'all. My question is about XML. I don't have Software Development knowledge so if somebody answers this, i would appreciate it.

I'm trying to change the GUI of a Plug-in i use. I found the resource images and codes in its file directory.

The GUI has a Square shape originally but I'm trying to make it rectangle (1200x160)

I've managed to change the Window size, by editing two strings; (i changed the "Bottom" and "Right" values.

The problem is, I'm not sure about how should i change the Parameter Controller's position. When i change it to a different value, its position changes but how can i know the Up/Bottom/Right/Left for a certain position?

Like I'm trying to move the position of the Knobs, to a certain place. But don't know that place's Coordinates.

Anyone knows how can i do this? I'm editing XML with a Text Editor by the way. A software that would let me move the knob to a position and change the code automatically would be dope.

Here is some pictures so you can understand better;

The Original GUI of the Software

2143876728_OriginalGUI.png.77349a255bfb10426c4aae90dd215c44.png

The Prototype Of What I'm Trying To Do (I made this with Photoshop)

1232946463_Prototype1.thumb.jpg.f1f52b5bb29e8c8d4311aa66828b5f30.jpg

Yeah I'm basically trying to re-design the GUI and the problem with it is re-positioning the Knobs and functional buttons.

Edited by djsnake

Well, I acknowledge that times are slow and curfew restrictions are taking their toll, but I do think that this is far outside a healthy ROI rate.

Seriously, you are poking with a wood stick into a V8 engine to make it go faster. Next post is of you complaining about sudden inexplicable Logic crashes out of the blue.

Also, the software owner (Waves in this case) may or may not have implemented integrity checks to cause a crash if the code has been tampered with to prevent someone trying to patch around their copy protection.

Can you create some music instead ?

I don't think they have a Auto-Crash thing that crashes the Daw or the Plug-in Instance when someone changes the codes on GUI's XML file since I've tried to change the position of one of the knobs and it worked and that's why I'm asking if someone knows how to re-position them correctly, What's the coordination of a specific place on Plug-in's window etc.

Thanks for the reply!

I think that because it's a rather unusual request, chances are, no one ever went down that path and you may have to just keep experimenting on your own until you find what gives you the desired result. When you do, though, I would be curious to hear what you've found out, and in turn, that could definitely help other people trying to achieve the same goal!! So let us know. ;)

I would start with making a Smart Controls interface for the plugin, mapping the parameters to knobs etc.

Lots of different possibilities. You don't get a lot of control over legends for the knobs, but you can make a credible looking "box".

If you need *lots* of buttons and knobs try "Modern Black 66".

Well, I acknowledge that times are slow and curfew restrictions are taking their toll, but I do think that this is far outside a healthy ROI rate.

Seriously, you are poking with a wood stick into a V8 engine to make it go faster. Next post is of you complaining about sudden inexplicable Logic crashes out of the blue.

Also, the software owner (Waves in this case) may or may not have implemented integrity checks to cause a crash if the code has been tampered with to prevent someone trying to patch around their copy protection.

Gee man, you sound like a neat, fun guy to hang with.

Gee man, you sound like a neat, fun guy to hang with.

wrong thread? he's 'fuzzflith' not 'gee man'... :mrgreen:

Hey What Up. I'm here with an update which David asked. I've managed to make the Plug-in work in the window I've designed, custom size, custom parameter locations.

I've changed the VU Meter's location by analyzing the GUI i made, on Photoshop and finding out which X Y value i should write. Since the VU meter is rectangle shaped, it is easy to find its exact coordinations by taking the X and Y values of its corners. The hard part is the knobs. I managed to move the threshold knob to its new place in new GUI by trying many different values but since its shape is not square or rectangle, I couldn't move the other ones properly.

Also i noticed that those knobs actually square images in PNG format. Maybe making the borders of those images highlighted would allow me to move them properly without trying so many times.