Quantizing Note Lengths

michaelrasbury

Logic doesn't seem to be able to quantize note lengths except in the MIDI transform window. So what if I want to shorten ALL notes in a performance by 15 percent? I can't figure out how to make the Transform window shorten all notes by a percentage. What if I want to quickly do this to a SMALL range of notes in my performance? I have turn off STATUS=NOTE to get it to only transform the notes I've selected in the piano roll. And I'm not sure how the numbers work under "Quanmin" ... some settings cause the notes to get shorter until you cross a threshold and then they start get longer. I must say that ironically some of this seems other than logical! I should be able click drag or command-select a range of notes, visit a menu and choose quantize note length by a positive or negative percentage? Or tell it to quantize all lengths to the nearest note value? Correct? Wouldn't that be more logical? Maybe I already can and I just have overlooked it? I also tried the region inspector. As I move the q-length values up and down for a range of notes some of my sixteenth notes get longer while other selected ones simultaneously get shorter? It really is infuriating and makes no sense. It's quicker to just select a range of notes and drag them to length you want.

Is there a Scripter script that lets the user enter a percentage value so that every note is shortened by a that percentage? That would help me in some instances when I'm working on perfected Finale MIDI and need to hear a space between each note.

Hi

I have one method for that - others here may have a much more elegant solution.

There are many menu locations for the transform. Also, I don't experience the length going opposite to what I set as you describe.

I use the Score.

Drag highlight notes I want to shorten.

Menu: Functions>MIDI Transform>Fixed Note length_Mul> 0.85 > Operate Only

0.85 = 15% shorter than 100% value. Hope that helps.

457648259_Shortennotes15.png.0a244f97c78507652bd85649946c1560.png

Yeah - I find it easier to think mathematics at times.

Mul = Multiply a set of values - it's a hangover from the early days of C-Lab and NOTATOR and when we worked a lot more in the environment and data lists. I just take that old knowledge for granted. And it's embedded in my old workflows.

The program's GUI styles are certainly not 21Century intuitive.

I suspect that there is too much old program code embedded below the surface for Apple to consider updates of some of the older features. And some of us still love the power of the Environment.

Logic doesn't seem to be able to quantize note lengths except in the MIDI transform window. So what if I want to shorten ALL notes in a performance by 15 percent? I can't figure out how to make the Transform window shorten all notes by a percentage. What if I want to quickly do this to a SMALL range of notes in my performance? I have turn off STATUS=NOTE to get it to only transform the notes I've selected in the piano roll. And I'm not sure how the numbers work under "Quanmin" ... some settings cause the notes to get shorter until you cross a threshold and then they start get longer. I must say that ironically some of this seems other than logical! I should be able click drag or command-select a range of notes, visit a menu and choose quantize note length by a positive or negative percentage? Or tell it to quantize all lengths to the nearest note value? Correct? Wouldn't that be more logical? Maybe I already can and I just have overlooked it? I also tried the region inspector. As I move the q-length values up and down for a range of notes some of my sixteenth notes get longer while other selected ones simultaneously get shorter? It really is infuriating and makes no sense. It's quicker to just select a range of notes and drag them to length you want.

Is there a Scripter script that lets the user enter a percentage value so that every note is shortened by a that percentage? That would help me in some instances when I'm working on perfected Finale MIDI and need to hear a space between each note.

Use the Event List to do this.

Thanks! That’s easy enough. I do think Apple should add a more logical HUI for these sorts of actions although I completely understand now this has been pointed out!

One thing I forgot to point out in that video is, when you Option+Shift and instead of a single click with the mouse, hold on the mouse and you can drag up and down the value.

The source will be the first event you click and drag on, all other events will change to that value.