Akai MPD 218

tele72

Basically any MIDI device sends MIDI events to Logic and in Logic you can use the MIDI events to do all kinds of things from triggering samples to cells on the Live Loops grid or even controlling parameters in the Mixer. How you set it up depends on what the goal is.

If you create a software instrument track and load a drum patch, doesn't the MPD 218 trigger drums out of the box? What have you tried so far?

Basically any MIDI device sends MIDI events to Logic and in Logic you can use the MIDI events to do all kinds of things from triggering samples to cells on the Live Loops grid or even controlling parameters in the Mixer. How you set it up depends on what the goal is.

If you create a software instrument track and load a drum patch, doesn't the MPD 218 trigger drums out of the box? What have you tried so far?

RE: AKAI MPD 218 MIDI

- I followed all the instructions - registered the product - downloaded ‘Firmware’ and other Plug INs from AKAI website - followed more instructions -

- the AKAI doesn’t seem to be making any sounds in Logic - I have no clue how to get somewhere in Logic whereby I can assign ‘instrument’ sounds to the pads on the AKAI

- very frustrating ( I also bought an IK iRig Keys I/O 25 to accomplish the same thing with the identical results ) so, Im’ guessing the problem is me... again, I have no idea where to ‘click’ to get somewhere I can hit a pad on the AKAI and get a cool drum sound.....

Not to worry, we should get to the bottom of it.

In Logic, choose Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Bypass all control surfaces, then try my original instructions again.

RE: AKAI MPD 218

- the ‘Bypass All Control Surfaces’ worked ! ! !

- questions:

- why are so many of the ‘Drum’ sounds in the ‘Sound Library’ section ‘ greyed-out - I cannot click on them

- - when I went to ‘Download all Sound Library’ - it told me I do not have enough room on my Mac ? Any advice on how to get the entire library of sounds or do you know of the best ‘Drum Pad MIDI’ Sounds available for download

- - also, I don’t have ‘Drum Kit Designer’ which I paid for upon installation with my MacBook Pro Logic install ?

Ok, so I should get an external and ‘relocate the remaining Sound Library’ sounds ?

RE: MIDI Sound pads

How do I then get more sounds on the Akai midi pads? How can I program them in Logic?

Is there an easy way to program pad #1 as a KICK DRUM and so on ....

• 3 months later...

I'm having a similar issue as well. I just purchased the MPD218 but in Logic when I load a software instrument track with drums (or synth), the kick will be on pad 2, the snare will be on pad 6, the hi hat will be on pad 11, etc.. I want things in order- the kick to start on pad 1, snare on pad 2, etc... just like my old MPD18. Anyone having the same issue? Thanks