Does anyone have experience with using an external SSD over an external HDD for Logic Pro X?

Deedrio
Go to solution Solved by enossified,

I’m using a 2019 MacBook Pro at home studio. Storage capacity is (250GB). I’m looking to expand storage with an external drive, but I’m not sure what to get.

I’m starting to wonder if getting an SSD would be better especially for Logic Pro X or not. I’m leaning more toward getting an external SSD, but it would be great if anyone would share their experiences with using an external SSD instead of an external HDD for their home studio! Could really use some advice!

• Solution

As a boot drive, there is no contest. I switched my iMac from using the internal HDD to an external SSD and got a measured 4x speed improvement. Boot is now 30 seconds instead of 3 minutes, Logic launches in 10-15 seconds instead of 3 minutes for the first launch after boot. I can now actually turn the iMac off when not using it...I used to leave it on so I wouldn't have to wait 6 minutes before playing a note of music. Now it's only 30 seconds, which is less time than my Yamaha Motif XF took to boot.

If the external drive is just library storage, as ozinga wrote sample streaming performance will improve dramatically.

I’m starting to wonder if getting an SSD would be better especially for Logic Pro X or not.

It all depends what you're using it for (Logic Pro uses drives for multiples things) and what you consider "better". Example: if you're using it to store large projects files, then an SSD would definitely speed up project loading and saving in Logic Pro. On the other hand it wouldn't change a thing regarding how Logic runs the project itself.

So consider:

1. What tasks you intend to use that drive for exactly?

2. How Logic (or any other tool you're using) handles those tasks in regards to moving data from drives to RAM.

3. What you consider better (more plug-ins, faster load time, more 3rd party sample library streaming power....etc).