Logic's version of SSL mixbus compressor?

musicismygas
Go to solution Solved by simon.a.billington,

• Solution

Actually I believe they called the Vintage FET wrong in that article. I more firmly believe its based on an 1178. The two look similar, but the devil is in the detail. Plus it would make sense for Apple to not give us two versions fo the same compressor.

Well, the 1178 is based largely on the 1176, but it was stereo and also made further improvements on its design. It's not as common, but there are still a few old school engineers who own one. I believe Bob Clearmountain maybe one and Alan Meyerson may be another. If I recall correctly.

• 1 month later...
it's not close to either anyway :D

nice comp, but it's emulations aren't "spot on" by far.

The knobs look like 1176 tho, not 1178

It’s subtle, but the difference Is there. It helps to look at the units side by side. Plus it doesn’t make sense for Apple to do two versions of the same compressor. Even then, the differences would be more subtle.

Apple doesn’t make out these to be exacting emulations anyway. More “inspired by” or “based on”. Although there is no such thing as an exact emulation as the units themselves don’t sound exactly alike due to component tolerances, wear and tear and maintain acne over the years. There’s plenty information to be as on the subject.

Exact emulations is one of the biggest perpetuating myths in audio. It’s possible to make a plugin to sound exact to the unit they were modelling, but everyone models different units, so of course, the plugins will sound different to each other.

it's not close to either anyway :D

nice comp, but it's emulations aren't "spot on" by far.

The knobs look like 1176 tho, not 1178

It’s subtle, but the difference Is there. It helps to look at the units side by side. Plus it doesn’t make sense for Apple to do two versions of the same compressor. Even then, the differences would be more subtle.

a (very few) people i know that have a 1178 mostly say it's different from 1176 the same way other 1176s are different from other 1176.

Why wouldn't it make sense? Arturia's 1176 has 3 different 1176 revision.

why would they use knobs from 1176 if they wanted to do a 1178?

a (very few) people i know that have a 1178 mostly say it's different from 1176 the same way other 1176s are different from other 1176.

I invite you to look more closely again.

I invite you to look more closely again.

i'm looking super close and i still see the same knobs from 1176 silverface on the Vintage FET for threshold/ratio and same from 1176 silverface for Attack/release.

1178 has different knobs (similar as attack/release on the 1176 silveface - but FOR ALL controls)

urei-1178-stereo-limiter-2.thumb.jpg.efc57a33d366ac7eb6838a5476841b78.jpg

Logic-Pro-Vintage-FET.png.989d6264765899823d8121a380459017.png

silverface.thumb.jpg.eba66e05bb7752621ba993aecd438f87.jpg

You know what... my mistake!!

I could have sworn it was the other way around when I looked into this years back. But no, apparently I was wrong, and stupid enough to tell it to the world too!!

You are right, I take everything I said back. Logic’s Vintage FET is in fact a Urei 1176LN Rev H inspired compressor.

Thanks for correcting me on what should be considered an act of blasphemy!!

I could have sworn it was the other way around when I looked into this years back. But no, apparently I was wrong, and stupid enough to tell it to the world too!!

You are right, I take everything I said back. Logic’s Vintage FET is in fact a Urei 1176LN Rev H inspired compressor.

:lol:

Two most difficult things to say in English:

1. "Worcestershire sauce"

2. "I was wrong."

Two most difficult things to say in English:

1. "Worcestershire sauce"

2. "I was wrong."

You’re certainly right about that first one!! :lol: