Tool to find and remove frequent white noise blasts from live recording?

noisenet

Hi All,

With my new band we like to record our gigs so we can listen, see what needs improvement and work accordingly. We use a Midas M32C as our mixer (soundguy controls via iPad). This is great as it records directly to a thumbdrive - simple to import & work on it. The problem is on every recording there are many 'spikes' - short random bursts of white noise at full amplitude. You can see them on the screen grab I'll include here.

946913057_ScreenShot2021-02-15at12_20_58PM.thumb.png.a3a538861c697940b6af64d53096448a.png

The only way I've found to get rid of these is to go through and, one by one, isolate them to their own regions and mute them. There are sometimes hundreds of these little spikes per set - making the simple task of splitting the files into individual song files to share a super long process, pretty much not worth it to do. Being at full amplitude, they're extremely loud blasts and ruins the listening experience, makes it hard to focus on what needs work.

BTW - this does not happen in any file we record - for instance: that screen grab I posted was the file from set 1 (well, 45 minutes of it). I just loaded the set 2 file and there are ZERO of these. Anyone familiar with the M32 (or similar device) who has some insight on what might cause this?

I've got the full Izotope music production suite (version 9) which includes a bunch of their RX tools but I haven't been able to find a way to get rid of these blasts.

Are there any other tools that will help me with this, perhaps something built into Logic? Thanks in advance for your help.

Like fuzzfilth wrote.

USB thumb drives vary all over the map as far as write speeds. Not surprisingly, long sustained writes are the hardest task for drives. It is possible to test them, Blackmagic has a free drive speed test app you can run to see how fast it really is (the test is aimed at video use where drive speed impacts max resolution possible). It's available on the App Store.

From the manual you can use both thumb drives and hard drives. I'd look into bus powered hard drives which can write much faster than thumb drives.