is there a way to see what key commands i have AVAILABLE?

SoSpiro

i have to guess what key command slots i still have open. I have to mentally go down a list and think, "ok, is anything assigned to command + 1? yes? okay...what about option + 1? yes? ok..i'll try shift + 1.....no? ctrl + 1? no?" then i'll have to think of absurd combinations and just play with it and press random keys in the command menu to see if they're assigned. Would be much easier if i knew what keys were available off the bat.

Am i able to assign Fn on my mac as a key command to open up more possibilities?

Have you tried importing the key commands into a spreadsheet?

Using same to sort and filter them (that should ease your quest at least a little).

To extract them, from the key-commands assignment window (via Option-K), in the cogwheel menu, use Copy Key Commands to Clipboard.

Then, after launching your spreadsheet app, issue a paste command (usualy Cmd-V).

There are 82 letter/number/sign keys on a normal keyboard and five modifier keys, so there are 14 modifier combinations, which amounts to 1148 possible key commands (not including the fn switch for the top row). Actually it a few less than these as things like command-S or command-Q are pretty much hard-wired (although negotiable through extra software like Keyboard Maestro). So a simple list would be quite impractical.

It would be nice to have a display keyboard that shows used keys and reacts to modifier keys, like this:

kcview.thumb.gif.a88e6676469e124eb001855db470a3ff.gif

fn is a modifier key, not a letter key, so while it doubles the numbers of function keys, it's not available as a single key.

• Love 1

There are 82 letter/number/sign keys on a normal keyboard and five modifier keys, so there are 14 modifier combinations, which amounts to 1148 possible key commands (not including the fn switch for the top row). Actually it a few less than these as things like command-S or command-Q are pretty much hard-wired (although negotiable through extra software like Keyboard Maestro). So a simple list would be quite impractical.

It would be nice to have a display keyboard that shows used keys and reacts to modifier keys, like this:

kcview.gif

fn is a modifier key, not a letter key, so while it doubles the numbers of function keys, it's not available as a single key.

Are you actually working on such a project?

kcview.gif

something like this would be great, though i don't know how i'd incorporate it with my laptop.

It does look like a truly great way to manage key commands, and with a very easy-on-the-eyes interface on top of that. I would spend hours reprogramming my key commands just to spend time looking at that beautiful GUI. :lol:

Apple should buy that and Keyboard Maestro and completely revamp their global MacOS input device control mapping.

I use a little application called "KeyCue" to get closer to a view of what's available...

When I want to "hunt" for used/unused keys I often type "option-K" to get the Key Commands window, then press "Pressed", then press keys. I get a list of used keystrokes.

I use the "HyperKey" command-control-option-shift a lot. I have that key sequence mapped to CAPS LOCK (BetterTouchTool and/or Karabiner)

Maybe not as easy as the screen shot, but I usually just type in the search field of the Key Command window to find things by "name". With over 1,600 commands, well, daunting. I add an exploration of a random key command to my blog every day, only about 1,300 to go...see my signature...

1017765197_ScreenShot2021-02-21at12_56_40.thumb.png.992646fefaf0dca5fd079da2d3384ae4.png

KeyCue screen overlay

I use a little application called "KeyCue" to get closer to a view of what's available...

When I want to "hunt" for used/unused keys I often type "option-K" to get the Key Commands window, then press "Pressed", then press keys. I get a list of used keystrokes.

I use the "HyperKey" command-control-option-shift a lot. I have that key sequence mapped to CAPS LOCK (BetterTouchTool and/or Karabiner)

Maybe not as easy as the screen shot, but I usually just type in the search field of the Key Command window to find things by "name". With over 1,600 commands, well, daunting. I add an exploration of a random key command to my blog every day, only about 1,300 to go...see my signature...

whoa! thanks for that!

Hi Facej

Thanks for the tip on KeyCue - I just had a look - the demo version seems limited.

Can you confirm that it displays key shortcuts for all LOGIC windows or just the select ones in your screen shot.

Also - does it stay open in background on screen or close on key combo selection?

My experience with demo: no Key Commands for Score window, and KeyCue closes immediately I let go of 'CMD' key.

Is this full paid version behaviour?