Unwanted green MIDI region recorded on audio track [SOLVED]

Burn Witch Burn
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

While tracking audio, if I have accidentally selected another track and forgotten to deselect it, Logic records what looks like a green midi region on the track.

The problem is I can't delete it. If I try to select the green region, the orange colored audio file is selected. (see screenshot)

1. Why does Logic do this and can it be toggled off? To where only record-enabled tracks are recorded to.

2. How do I delete the unwanted green regions?

Logic.thumb.jpeg.ddd10fc54e2da4278291f264559ad374.jpeg

Hi, thanks for answering. As soon as I select the orange region, the green one is not visible. If I move the orange one, the green one goes with it and I have the same problem in a new location.

I don't know what's in the green segment. There appears to be little "x"s in them. In the Event List, you can see it on the right. It's at bar 25. (see pic) But if I select it in the Event list, it automatically simultaneously selects the orange segments which start at bar 5. You can't select just the green ones. I don't think there is anything in them. There was no midi being recorded, only a single mono channel of audio, which did record (vocals) normally.

This seems to be a glitch. It happened when i was cutting vocals, but temporarily edited something in the Guitar track but forgot to unselect that track. The vocal track was armed (red R button) but the guitar track was selected. I think that's when the green segments were generated.

This happens normally when cutting midi. But it's curious that it happens on an audio track. if anyone knows how to prevent this or fix it after the fact, please let me know.

Logic2.thumb.jpeg.8044408624612317c0439084c29c5e88.jpeg

• Solution

Select the track and choose Track > Other > New Track for Overlapped Regions so that you can access the green MIDI region and see its contents?

This seems to be a glitch.

It's too early to tell. That's normally the conclusion you draw once you've troubleshooted an issue and haven't found the culprit (and even then, you often end up finding a culprit later on that explains that it wasn't, after all, a glitch). You're in the early stages of troubleshooting here.

Select the track and choose Track > Other > New Track for Overlapped Regions so that you can access the green MIDI region and see its contents?

Yes, this worked. Thank you! Looking at the green segments, they contain syxex info - no values though, other than "Ta Horng Musical Instrument".

I've had someone here recently w a USB Midi Drum Kit and a synth. Maybe it's one of those, but far as I know, there is nothing currently sending midi to logic.

Final thing: is there a way to have Logic only record on record-button-activated tracks and not on tracks that are only selected but not record enabled?

• 2 weeks later...

You're my hero, David! Having this same issue, for similar reasons as reported in the original question. Not a huge deal, but that overlapping green MIDI region was driving me nuts and I just wanted to delete it, but was unable to do so without delete the audio region it overlapped. Your suggestion got me half way there, and then once I made Groups inactive for this track, I was able to delete just the MIDI region. Thanks a bunch!

Yes, this worked. Thank you! Looking at the green segments, they contain syxex info - no values though, other than "Ta Horng Musical Instrument".

I've had someone here recently w a USB Midi Drum Kit and a synth. Maybe it's one of those, but far as I know, there is nothing currently sending midi to logic.

Final thing: is there a way to have Logic only record on record-button-activated tracks and not on tracks that are only selected but not record enabled?

Yes I'm wondering the same thing. This happens to me all the time. I forget I have an audio track selected (which automatically record arms it), and then I arm a MIDI track to record into, and after I record end up with a bunch of sysex info overlapping the existing audio region. Not a huge problem, but would be nice if record-arming a track also de-selected any previous selected tracks, OR if simply selecting a track did not also record-arm it. Screenshot attached, with the vocal track being audio and the drum track being MIDI, BOTH record armed because I had the vocal track selected when I armed the MIDI drum track.

1958607685_ScreenShot2021-02-27at3_12_50PM.png.4af15c5f6ddd5837621599a37930896c.png

but would be nice if record-arming a track also de-selected any previous selected tracks, OR if simply selecting a track did not also record-arm it.

What if you have multiple armed tracks? It would kill the ones that are armed already.

In Logic, when you select a software instrument, it goes into live mode so when you hit a key on your controller you hear it right away.

I don't think you would like the extra step of arming a midi track, would you?

Hello everyone, thanks for this useful post.

I encountered the exact same problem in a professional studio yesterday while recording an exclusively audio project. It even made me loose some take regions in a comping while trying to delete the green region at the beginning...

Here is a screenshot which shows the content of my green MIDI region:

y4m-tdxEMJQEEpndXhKsRb4T1JP6ycuT8ZGs_iLAtJDbIXcZdvTSh2lj-BEWSTniHmF2R2-alXjre9CZc2ewOgvKMiky5pDMgxCJZbn-HcoxZqN5KcBOwA4rHn-OxvXiYUZop9hnb01MVDcK1hVfckvSy0n2CD7etjwlLTT0JFJQqQ?width=1264&height=667&cropmode=none

I suppose there was a MIDI device that was sending these events.

I can't understand why Logic would record some MIDI content on an audio track?

As Burn Witch Burn says, it would be nice to prevent the "red R on gray button" to light up automatically when a track is simply selected and not manually armed.

• 4 months later...

This issue has been happening to me constantly a useless green region will be created on whichever track is selected during the time of recording. Happens both for midi and audio tracks. This is happening while I am trying to multi-track recording with my tracks grouped and quantized locked for editing. When the green region is created, it destroys my group editing and comping abilities. Getting really frustrated because I just lost a good take to this silly bug.

Has anyone discovered why Logic is recording what seems to be a midi channel in the first place on audio channel. Is there a way to turn this off? Please someone tell me they've found a solution.