System requirements and versions for logic pro

JakHay

I can't find a definitive list of the system requirements for logic pro (x).

Most specifically, I'd like to know what are the latest versions of logic for all recent OS versions. A google search for "latest logic version" brings up many articles about 10.5, although 10.6 clearly exists. I also searched the app store and apple's website, but I could not find anything that tells me what the absolute latest version of Logic is. (I'm interested in the minor revisions, so "10.6" is not a good answer - I'm looking for something like"10.6.3 r1137")

A simple list similar to this: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en343311?popup=true&retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fcompatibility%2FPro-Tools-System-Requirements

is what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Jack

For latest versions of Logic:

10.5.x requires Mojave (last version)

10.6.x requires Catalina

The latest version of Logic at time of writing is 10.6.1:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203718

The AppStore shows the versions by clicking on "Version History", which goes back as far as the first update of Logic Pro X, 10.0.7, 6 years ago.

Earlier versions I'd have to check exactly to get them bang on, but some searching here will give you that info if you look around - people have asked for this list before. What's this for exactly? What version of MacOS are you running?

Edited by des99

• 2 months later...
Hi Jack

You're not the only one who just wants a simple compatibility chart for Logic. I've created a Logic Pro Compatibility spreadsheet as Apple hasn't. It's a work-in-progress and open source but hopefully it'll help going forward.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OERErBm7jVp550BxK-DYOkzG97dl1Ganq2Ahmfv_Y1w/edit?usp=sharing

Excellent work. Thanks a lot for sharing it with us Paul! :D

• 1 year later...

This is useful information.  You might want to submit a formal enhancement-request to Apple Support suggesting that it be added to the public documentation.  Include a link to your file for their convenience and to show exactly what you're talking about.  Lots of musicians do run earlier versions of Logic on earlier, older computers which they take with them on tour, keeping their latest computers at home.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bernarada said:

I know it does, fisherking, that's what I pointed out since Jacks chart says it doesn't. I was just wondering what Mike meant by Apple's "public documentation." 

sorry, i answered your exact question:

"Mike, do you know where Apple mentions that 10.6.3 can't run on Catalina? "

apple doesn't mention this anywhere, because it isn't true. just trying to help 👍

35 minutes ago, bernarada said:

No worry, and sorry if I misunderstood you. I still wonder, given what Mike suggested, where does Apple mention that it runs on Catalina?

if you google it, confirmation is everywhere (articles, forums). 10.6.3 works on catalina. 

if you scroll thru this

you'll find (the only reference on that page to catalina, but as good a confirmation as any):

• The Play button in the File Browser now works on systems running macOS Catalina.

• Like 1

Here are the latest compatible versions of Logic Pro for each generation of macOS [as of 6/10/2022]:

• macOS 10.9 Mavericks - Logic Pro X 10.2.4
  • macOS 10.10 Yosemite - Logic Pro X 10.2.4
  • macOS 10.11 El Capitan - Logic Pro X 10.3.3
  • macOS 10.12 Sierra - Logic Pro X 10.4.8
  • macOS 10.13 High Sierra - Logic Pro X 10.4.8
  • macOS 10.14 Mojave - Logic Pro X 10.5.1
  • macOS 10.15 Catalina - Logic Pro 10.6.3
  • macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Logic Pro 10.7.4
  • macOS 12.0 Monterey - Logic Pro 10.7.4

• Like 3

The Logic Pro installer pkg will not allow you to install a given version of Logic on a version of MacOS it is not supported on, i.e., so there should be no harm in trying to do a test install which will either be denied or you can abort the install if the installer passes the pre-install tests.  That can be hacked, but the subsequent install won't be supported by Apple.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

ok i managed to sign in to apple and just tried to update my old logic pro which was working fine until i changed to ventura in decemer but apstore doesnt have an update , just a buy logic for £199 ??? where is the update? any ideas. ive had this version of logic for about 5 years.

7 hours ago, paulos said:

ok i managed to sign in to apple and just tried to update my old logic pro which was working fine until i changed to ventura in decemer but apstore doesnt have an update , just a buy logic for £199 ??? where is the update? any ideas. ive had this version of logic for about 5 years.

Or maybe you had more than 1 Apple ID and you signed into the wrong one? You may have purchased Logic with another Apple ID you have forgotten about?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are the latest compatible versions of Logic Pro for each generation of macOS [as of 3/26/2023]:

• macOS 12.0 Monterey - Logic Pro 10.7.7
  • macOS 13.0 Ventura - Logic Pro 10.7.7

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Simon Morrison said:

Here are the latest compatible versions of Logic Pro for each generation of macOS [as of 3/26/2023]:

• macOS 12.0 Monterey - Logic Pro 10.7.7
  • macOS 13.0 Ventura - Logic Pro 10.7.7

Great! Thanks a lot for sharing that information @Simon Morrison - just wondering: where does that information come from? 

Hello @David Nahmani - I'm pulling the compatibility information from official release notes and various compatibility articles. The macOS 10.12.6 Sierra compatible version was incorrectly listed as 10.4.8. I've corrected this and have now included the corresponding macOS point release versions:

• macOS 10.9.5 Mavericks - Logic Pro X 10.2.4
  • macOS 10.10.5 Yosemite - Logic Pro X 10.2.4
  • macOS 10.11.6 El Capitan - Logic Pro X 10.3.3
  • macOS 10.12.6 Sierra - Logic Pro X 10.4.4
  • macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra - Logic Pro X 10.4.8
  • macOS 10.14.6 Mojave - Logic Pro X 10.5.1
  • macOS 10.15.7 Catalina - Logic Pro 10.6.3
  • macOS 11.7.4 Big Sur - Logic Pro 10.7.4
  • macOS 12.6.4 Monterey - Logic Pro 10.7.7
  • macOS 13.3 Ventura - Logic Pro 10.7.7
  • Like 3