Where next for Logic? 10.7.x, or 11.0?

des99

my hot take of the day:

we'll see logic "11", apple silicon exclusive, cross-platform iPadOS/macOS when apple drops intel support.

That would not really make sense, since 10.6 is already the "Silicon" version... I mean, it is not a hybrid like the PPC/Universal binary thing there was for a while with the PPC/Intel transition, is it?

Because I feel like 10.6 was a rushed out version just to be compatible with the Apple Silicon from day one for the entry level machines. We will start to see more powered machines towards the end of the year and that might be a good timing for the big update. If there is one ever planned that is :)

there's really nothing power wise that would support that, M1 already smokes i9s so unless going for redundancy, sheer power doesn't really make any difference on what a big update would constitute of and in any case i think it's more tied to iPad Pro's than Mac Pro's. :)

I think it was originally planned for 2021 January NAMM but was pushed back a few months, but then a few major bugs still present mean they'll push it a few more months toward the end of the summer, only by then they'll start seriously planning the release of MacOS 12 Skyline so the Logic team will want to be synced with it so they can make sure it's 100% compatible with it, only Skyline will be pushed back a few months but for sure before year's end. But then by year's end new hardware will be just around the corner and Apple will decide that it's better to release Skyline along with the new hardware so before we know it we'll be in March 2022 and the Logic team, tired of waiting, will release Logic Pro 10.7 with revamped flat GUI for the EVOC vocoder, the Pitch Correction and Vocal Transformer plug-ins, as well as a couple of new improved Flex Pitch algorithms specialized for vocals and polyphonic material.

By then everyone will complain that 10.7 is too little too late while the Logic team is working hard at fine-tuning Logic 11 which will be pushed back yet another few months, but Apple will start focusing all its attention to the upcoming release of the revolutionary VR/AR iGlasses along with the incredible work the dev teams have put in the shiny new iVROS.

In January 2023 Cubase 13 will hit the virtual shelves and when Logic 11 is finally announced a month later, everyone will complain that Cubase is already at #13 and Logic is only getting to #11 Which means it's 2 less, you see, isn't it? Where can you go from there? Nowhere.

I think it was originally planned for 2021 January NAMM but was pushed back a few months, but then a few major bugs still present mean they'll push it a few more months toward the end of the summer, only by then they'll start seriously planning the release of MacOS 12 Skyline so the Logic team will want to be synced with it so they can make sure it's 100% compatible with it, only Skyline will be pushed back a few months but for sure before year's end. But then by year's end new hardware will be just around the corner and Apple will decide that it's better to release Skyline along with the new hardware so before we know it we'll be in March 2022 and the Logic team, tired of waiting, will release Logic Pro 10.7 with revamped flat GUI for the EVOC vocoder, the Pitch Correction and Vocal Transformer plug-ins, as well as a couple of new improved Flex Pitch algorithms specialized for vocals and polyphonic material.

By then everyone will complain that 10.7 is too little too late while the Logic team is working hard at fine-tuning Logic 11 which will be pushed back yet another few months, but Apple will start focusing all its attention to the upcoming release of the revolutionary VR/AR iGlasses along with the incredible work the dev teams have put in the shiny new iVROS.

In January 2023 Cubase 13 will hit the virtual shelves and when Logic 11 is finally announced a month later, everyone will complain that Cubase is already at #13 and Logic is only getting to #11 Which means it's 2 less, you see, isn't it? Where can you go from there? Nowhere.

This is exactly why i just bit the bullet and got an M1 MB Air. I just needed to get off the update train and start recording again. I put off this purchase for the last two years because I heard rumours of apple silicon coming. Some things are worth waiting for but on the other hand I lost two or three years of creating music. I just couldn’t take working on my 2009 MacBook Pro anymore. Everything was so slow it took it almost 3 to 5 minutes to start up and load a logic project. I am just going to be happy for a few years now and don’t worry about updates.

On a sidenote if anyone is hesitating to get a new M1 MacBook Air, go ahead! Logic is flying on this machine! it is instantly on and launching Logic in two seconds! Not exaggerating. Projects with 50 tracks load in a few seconds. If you need more power, then wait for the next generation but the next generation might not be fan less. there’s one negative side though: I cannot blow dry my hair anymore while recording like I did with the Intel Macbook. :)

I will second Mania's experience with the M1. Though this discussion probably belongs in the M1 thread - I moved from a 2014 MacBook Pro Retina to this 13" M1 which cost half the price and still with 16Gb and 1TB. Still waiting for some important 3rd party stuff (Synthogy Ivory, and Motu hardware drivers in particular, ugh). But an insane improvement otherwise. Time to start looking at these machines as 3-year leases.

2023 is my estimate

Apple won't have ended Intel support by then. 5 years (min) before MacOS and Apple apps no longer contain Intel code is my guess based on support obligations.

Maybe 3-4 years perhaps if they are on an extremely aggressive schedule.

But not 2 years.

had this discussion elsewhere.

Support means maintenance updates and parts available, it doesn't mean latest and greatest (a new version of Logic)

PowerPC was nixed in 2005.

Tiger was released in 2005 and was UB, and Leopard in 2007 was UB.

Snow Leopard in 2009 was already Intel-only.

So after intel transition, PowerPC got two versions of OS X before being nixed.

So yeah, late 2023, early 2024. Apple tends to be aggressive with dropping old stuff

Let's say someone buys a Mac Pro in 2021. If Apple stops producing Intel binaries in 2023 (which is what "no more intel stuff" means) - this means this machine that's 2 years old can no longer have new OSX versions, maintenance or security updates, or updates to ProApps like Logic & Final Cut, as none of that code would contain Intel binaries.

These machines would no longer be supported in terms of current software (I'm not talking about support in the context of maintenance and parts, I'm talking about software support.)

I think most people can agree that that would be a poor user purchasing experience. Apple tend to think 5 years is a more reasonable time frame for "support" for a typical machine (although sometimes this is more like 2 or 3 MacOS versions so that time frame is shrinking a bit, complicated by the constraints of going through a transition.)

Once Apple stop selling any Intel machines, *then* the clock is running, and I'd say at minimum three to four years after that before there is no Intel code being shipped by Apple, depending on how aggressively they want to transition.

As the Mac Pro is likely the *last* machine to be transitioned to M-series chips, it's likely going to be 2022 at least before they get there - and they might even decide to keep the Intel version around for a while yet for the customers would specifically want them (research, medical, science etc).

That's my general reasoning.

We'll see, of course...

I think some of this will be influenced with how the M-series chips are taken by the market. We're very early days, with the entry-level chips. We'll know more as more products transition and we'll get a better idea of how good they are, and how quickly stuff gets ported to be native and so on.

If the industry really is taken by surprise from a new generation of chips that are well performant compared to their competitiors, and Mac systems really are powerful, and heat and energy efficient, then they make well shift perspectives quicker, and the transition could happen quicker.

None of us know what the future is, but I'm confident that at least for the Mac, the processors have a good roadmap ahead of them, unlike Intel/AMD equivalents, and the hardware+software design looks to have some great advantages that no other company can do, as no other company controls the entire stack like Apple does.

Compared to 5+ years ago when the Mac seemed a little neglected by Apple, I'm much happier, and excited again, of the future of the Mac these days.

I don't think Apple would charge for the updates.

It makes more sense for them to make you buy a new computer.

Logic is the bait.

I totally agree. At some point, features in Logic will demand the M1 or newer silicon. This has been the strategy with iPhone from the start.

Apple is the only company that can predict what customers will over-pay, in the future!

Heat and fan noise are killing me, I can't leave Intel fast enough, even if I will lose some software going forward. It's an opportunity to cull the toolkit anyway, which I'm embracing as a positive.

oh yeah, it's exactly what i did and what i'm doing.

iLok however is pissing me off, heard early 2022..

Cubase has some very comfortable functions which would really useful in Logic Pro 11 as well, like Chord Track and Chord Assistant:

Interesting - so what are your scripts actually doing? You don't really show.

Heat and fan noise are killing me, I can't leave Intel fast enough, even if I will lose some software going forward. It's an opportunity to cull the toolkit anyway, which I'm embracing as a positive.

Couldn't agree more. The fans on my 16" MBP literally make me not want to use it which is why I've been creating tracks with some standalone devices now. Hopefully the rumored 14 inch MBP releases this year or even an m1 desktop will surely be my next purchase.

so would i, but as far as i can tell there is less than there were.

trailer-music HZ wannabes never understood physical tech so they only bought 128gb of RAM (cause they dont understand DSD) and oversized HoLlYwOoD libs, obviously stating market preference.

Wallander WIVI is discontinued, Synful is AWOL, 4front true pianos is basically dead.

It's too bad, i was 100% certain physical modelling was the future.

I don't want to shatter your (Ploki's) non-physically modeled future, but would just like to mention PianoTeq, Plasmonic, _some_ of the IK stuff (Bass?), PA1.. I mean there are a fair few companies digging their heels into physical modeling BUT it's complex, CPU heavy.. sometime expensive.. so most folks would rather use pre-sampled organic loveliness instead of configuring their own exciters and resonators.

Some companies collapse, new companies bloom.. I used to think (20 years ago) physical modeling was going to be making my realistic orchestra strings (12 violins and 8 cellos please), and giving me the ability to make a 4 mile-radius drum that I can hit with an asteroid; that's not quite what happened over the lat 20 years.

So, I'm now a bit more realistic about what I expect from the future of physical modelling algorithms and sounds generated from those algorithms. It won't proliferate into everyone's stock DAW plugins, but there will be some amazing tools which take us ever-closer to the "asteroid hitting a 4 mile drum skin". Until then we have to use our imaginations, samples and sonic skills to create those noises.

Sorry, that was a bit off-topic.

My guess is that the future for these instruments lies in a combination of technologies, including samples, physical and behavioural modelling, and AI/ML physical and behavioural modelling to be able to get a much larger range of "articulations" and performance characteristics (eg true legato notes) from a base set of samples, without having to have a bazillion samples for everything an instrument might be required to do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...