Where next for Logic? 10.7.x, or 11.0?

des99

Yes, a bit of idle speculation, why not? :)

Now that there is no more "Logic Pro X", and we've "ex-ed the 10" - do we think they will continue the line of Logic "10" for now - ie we'll go to Logic Pro 10.7.x and so on for a while - or do think there'll be perhaps the odd maintenance update for 10.6.x, but it'll go quiet until the big push for Logic Pro 11?

(At which point presumably we'll all have to buy it again, as has been standard for Apple's pro apps. We've had 6+ years of Logic 10, after all...)

What's your gut feeling, and where will you place your bets?

Hard to say,

Logic Pro .1 updates are like .5 updates for any other DAW. With the updates since 10.0 they would have easily called the current version Logic Pro 12.

So they might do the biggest update ever and call it 10.7 :)

But I feel like they are done with the 10 and we might see the 11 released along with the higher end Apple silicon machines.

Logic Pro X, Final Cut X seemed to fit well into the OSX era of having 'x' on the end. But i don't see new naming conventions coming with M1, i see no obvious branding like we did with OSX - this whole new era just seems to be very smooth without gimmicks. And i like that "Business as usual" approach.

I think Logic will remain a 'pay once' piece of software, and garageband/logic will merge somewhere along the line and become fully scalable across iOS and macOS. Logic already has it's 'simple' mode with the wooden panels - i wonder if this is something which will be exploited more in the future to cater for touch screens.

It seems to be that they're wanting to promote a simple, yet efficient ecosystem, and i don't think traditional versions of software which you pay for x.0 upgrades fit into that vision vs a "You always have the latest version" approach.

So for me, if there was a new breed of pro apps then I think there's a high chance it will move to an 'always connected' iCloud Pro subscription whereby you get Final cut, Logic, and such apps for a very low monthly fee which includes a decent cloud storage plan. I'm thinking 4.99/month style approach with ~200GB storage.

While that would annoy many existing users who prefer perpetual licensing (Dare i say the older userbase?), i think they would knock it out the park across the majority.

Imagine being a student and getting 3 months free of the pro plan when buying a new M1 MacBook - it's such an attractive proposition, and incredibly easy to dive straight in.

I don't think Apple would charge for the updates.

Their pattern so far since Apple branded Logic is to charge for major versions (LP7, LP8, LP9, LPX/10) but not charge for updates within those versions (except for a small while around LP7 because of all Sarbanes-Oxley silliness at the time).

If LP stays on "10", and goes to eg 10.7, 10.8, I full expect those to continue in the same pattern as up to now (not just on Logic, but in their other pro apps like FCP as well).

However, if they go to LP 11, I would expect it to be a major, chargeable upgrade following the established pattern.

*If* they went to LP11, but *didn't* charge for it and continued on with free updates, then that would indeed set a precedent for free updates for a long time.

So they might do the biggest update ever and call it 10.7 :)

Yep. So you think they's stick with Logic Pro "10" for the forseeable future? We'd get Logic Pro 10.9, 10.10, 10.14 etc?

But I feel like they are done with the 10 and we might see the 11 released along with the higher end Apple silicon machines.

My gut says more in that direction, I think...

I think Logic will remain a 'pay once' piece of software

So for me, if there was a new breed of pro apps then I think there's a high chance it will move to an 'always connected' iCloud Pro subscription whereby you get Final cut, Logic, and such apps for a very low monthly fee which includes a decent cloud storage plan. I'm thinking 4.99/month style approach with ~200GB storage.

I'm hoping that wouldn't be the case, but Apple are driving hard on that services revenue, and getting regular revenue for pro apps would help. Although realistically, it would barely make a blip on the financials...

4.99/mo seems reasonable which is why I think it would be more. Anytime I figure a "reasonable" price to pay for something Apple, I usually need to add on quite a bit more to get to what *they* feel is "reasonable"... ;)

I don't think they are going to update the name officially to LogicPro11. they changed it to have without the X to avoid any linkage to OSX. Now its just called LogicPro. I don't think they are going to make us pay anytime soon either.

Agree that was why the name change. (Same for Final Cut Pro).

So people are largely feeling that we're not "going to 11" in the near future, and that we'll continue to see 10.6.x, 10.7.x etc releases? 10.10.x? At some point that 10 becomes redundant though...

Apple doesn't even call it Logic Pro "X" anymore, making the versioning even more arbitrary than it has already been over the past 7 years. I suspect it'll remain a buy-once-free-updates application into the future. They subsidize the cost of these pro apps through hardware sales.

I'm hoping that wouldn't be the case, but Apple are driving hard on that services revenue, and getting regular revenue for pro apps would help. Although realistically, it would barely make a blip on the financials...4.99/mo seems reasonable which is why I think it would be more.

Well this is the thing, i recently got a new iPad and after setting it up, i then received a notification to claim 3 months of Arcade subscription a, Then i got given 12 months TV+. Notably both services are around the 5 quid a month price. And you're right, it's really obvious that they're hitting the service revenue hard - if it wasn't for buying a new iPad and seeing these notifications i'm quite oblivious to it all.

The way i look at is, If they can deliver "all you can eat" style content using third party app-store developers with Arcade, and funding external studios/production companies for their original content on TV+, then to wrap their own pro apps into a package with cloud storage is child's play by comparison.

Looking forwards, i'm sure they would rather take the risk and use FCP and LP as 'added value' to boost services like Apple One, than sell those apps individually for a one-off fee every 8+ years to niche users. I'm not saying Logic would become subscription only, but i think the monthly offerings will be where the carrot is dangled - hence a low monthly price.

My guess would be that they follow the MacOS convention and name it Logic Pro 11. I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting for some rather big changes for that major update, and in that case I wouldn't be surprised if they charge us $199 for it.

As for the major changes? How about being able to run Logic Pro 11 on your iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, but also, who knows, some new iDevice we haven't heard of yet). Compatibility with the subscription-based Logic Pro Cloud server which allows for real time remote collaboration and offline Logic project backup and storage. Things like that that would make it a larger departure from earlier versions than the latest incremental GUI or MacOS-catching-up updates.

Cubase has some very comfortable functions which would really useful in Logic Pro 11 as well, like Chord Track and Chord Assistant: