Plugins load long and weirdly on Mac M1

apaclin2

Hi, using a M1 Mac and getting this issue: it takes longer than usual for a plugin to load, first it's greyed out in the insert slot, then it shows the loading animation in the plugin window. This goes for all plugins except the Logic native ones and that sucks.

Is it because they run under Rosetta?

Screenshot-2021-02-20-at-13-44-56.png Screenshot-2021-02-20-at-13-45-53.png

Looks like plugins are loading in their own process. I expect this was a technical necessity for the M1 translation, otherwise running Logic natively, you'd lose all your non-native plugins (ie about 98% of them at this stage).

Now, Logic can run natively, but still load Intel plugins via Rosetta, which is no mean feat!

Yeah might be - but i was wondering why native plugins need that as well.

But there's something else - when running native, projects opens fairly quick and plugins keep on loading in the background, and the load is A LOT faster especially for native builds compared to same project in rosetta version.

Do you guys think M1 is worthy at this point? Or should it be trashed and replaced by Intel? What's your experience of M1 compared to Intel?

the M1 is a huge step forward, no one is going back (at any rate, certainly not apple, who are making the M1 chips). it's the 2021 equivalent of moving from the power PC... to intel...

My experience with Logic in M1 native mode loading non-native plugins takes a long time, and I get a process that consumes 8GB of memory and 243% of my CPU while it is simply doing nothing,

If I put Logic in Rosetta mode and load the same plugins - no 8GB process - 15% CPU. I will put up with the slightly slower execution for the weird behavior of trying to mix native and Intel plugins.

Is it because they run under Rosetta?

No

MidiOut.png.56890fb1fe7f6a683a22efeed66cd398.png

I converted my MIDIFX MidiOut to Silicon but yet I get this same issue.

After debugging I found out the issue. The handler which lets me know when MIDI is available to process, while it does get called when a MIDI event comes in, it's also being called constantly.

I logged the messages in every function in my program just to pinpoint where the issue might be, and even though I have a check to say, if nothing comes in just exit the MIDI handler event function which is working, the issue is it's getting called all the time with or without events. I wasn't paying attention to the log file size but before I knew it, it as at 200MB. Ouch. :o

So the issue with this is, the class library I was using from Apple, while I did get it to compile, it looks like I'll need to use the newer class library they have.

That's what I'm working on right now.