Can’t create Aggregate Audio Device.

Nunstummy

I’m on MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina, trying to create an aggregate audio device from 2 older firewire interfaces. When they are both plugged in to firewire (daisy chained) neither device appears in System Preferences -> Sounds. If I unplug 1 device, the other suddenly appears and visa-versa. Is there something about firewire I don’t understand? Can I have 2 audio interfaces connected via firewire at the same time?

Since my 2014 MacBook Pro doesn’t have a firewire port, I have an OWC Thunderbolt dock that has firewire 800/400. It works fine on either audio interface individually, but put them together.... nothin’

You definitely can have daisychained Firewire interfaces working as an aggregate. I used to do this with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 and a Motif XF with FW card installed. Thunderbolt should not matter, I used an Apple FW800/Thunderbolt adapter with my iMac to connect my interfaces.

The aggregate has to be created in Audio/MIDI Setup. Each interface must also be visible there individually.

What devices are you using?

I have a 2005 MOTU Traveler firewire and a 2011 MOTU 8 Pre firewire. My MacBook Pro goes Thunderbolt to an OWC dock (powered) that has many ports including firewire. From the dock firewire goes to the 8 Pre, which has 2 firewire connectors. From the second I daisy chain firewire from 8 Pre to the Traveler. With this setup, neither device appears - weird. If I unplug the Traveler, the 8 Pre suddenly appears.

From the second I daisy chain firewire from 8 Pre to the Traveler. With this setup, neither device appears - weird.

Have you created an Aggregate Device in Audio Midi Setup, like I suggested above?

I’d like to, but you can’t create an aggregate device in MacOS unless both devices are connected and visible.

I have a 2005 MOTU Traveler firewire and a 2011 MOTU 8 Pre firewire. My MacBook Pro goes Thunderbolt to an OWC dock (powered) that has many ports including firewire. From the dock firewire goes to the 8 Pre, which has 2 firewire connectors. From the second I daisy chain firewire from 8 Pre to the Traveler. With this setup, neither device appears - weird. If I unplug the Traveler, the 8 Pre suddenly appears.

What I would do if I were you is contact MOTU and ask them for help. Don't even bring up Logic or aggregate devices first, just ask them for help getting your Mac to recognize the two daisy-chained MOTU devices.

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the advice.

I have some different firewire cables to try and I’m going to connect to my MacBook Pro Thunderbolt port directly. Bypass the OWC dock, in case that’s the issue. I have a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter from Apple that I used to use for live. So i know that used to work.