Master Bus VS Stereo Out

Breenfactor
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

Hey, guys!

So, hear this: In my Mixing template I created a Mix Bus, where all the instruments are routed to, a Master Bus, where the Mix Bus is routed to, and then of course the Stereo Out, where the Master Bus is routed to.

Now, I noticed that the Stereo Out doesn't actually output the same volume level than the Master Bus, despite being fed by it. Also, I used to put an Adaptive Limiter on this Master Bus but can't understand why the Stereo Out was still clipping. I moved the Ad Lim to the Stereo Out and it obviously works. But cannot understand why doing stuff inside my created Master Bus doesn't work as expected.

Here a screen of both my Mix Bus channel strip and my Master Bus.

1880763096_ScreenShot2021-02-28at13_48_10.thumb.png.eac7108a80f406daef3687e81ea1d213.png

I noticed that the Stereo Out doesn't actually output the same volume level than the Master Bus, despite being fed by it.

(...)

Here a screen of both my Mix Bus channel strip and my Master Bus.

What we need is a screenshot of the actual issue you've described: the Stereo Out showing a volume level that's different than the Master Bus.

You're sending more things to your stereo out, which is why it's louder.

You're not just routing the master bus to the stereo out, you are routing a whole bunch of the other tracks as well. I don't know the point of this routing, but they have different volumes because they are different combinations of signals.

I want to revive this thread because just today I noticed a similar thing, and assume some setting I usually ignore was updated by an update :o

My setup is very simple. I record a single track into Logic X, no other tracks have anything on them.

I can see my track input is hovering around -10, with occasional bursts up to -8. Great, no clipping.

While recording, the master output is clearly off by -10db. It hovers at zero with occasional bursts to +2 clipping in the red.

After I record my track, I check the audio, and it's max vol is -8, and when I play that back, the master output hovers at -10 not zero.

Essentially when playing back, my master bus is 10db quieter than when recording.

I want to revive this thread because just today I noticed a similar thing, and assume some setting I usually ignore was updated by an update :o

My setup is very simple. I record a single track into Logic X, no other tracks have anything on them.

I can see my track input is hovering around -10, with occasional bursts up to -8. Great, no clipping.

While recording, the master output is clearly off by -10db. It hovers at zero with occasional bursts to +2 clipping in the red.

After I record my track, I check the audio, and it's max vol is -8, and when I play that back, the master output hovers at -10 not zero.

Essentially when playing back, my master bus is 10db quieter than when recording.

Post your Logic project file: How to attach files to your post