One pitch correction plugin for all the vocal tracks

LoganSulpizio
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

I would like to use the pitch correction plugin to all my vocals. (Basically, if I change something in the pitch correction, like the automation, it is applied to all my vocal tracks)

The project contains several différents song in different keys, so I use the automation of the pitch correction plugin to adjust the different scale and note of the correction. I could copy the automation to every vocal track after making it the first time, but if I want to change something in the automation afterwards, I need to do the change to all the vocal tracks and that's quite annoying. I'm really trying to get it work here, because we record new projects every week so it's not a matter of making a repeated move just once...

I thought about using a bus, like I'm already doing it for the reverb (every vocal tracks use the same reverb with a bus).

But by adding a second bus, the reverb will not be generated from the corrected signals and it might end up with some of the wet signal of the reverb a bit out of tune.

Does anyone have a idea that could help me?

Thank you

I have multiples vocals tracks (like a choir) and they sing multiples different songs. The songs are not in the same key, that's why I need to automate the pitch correction plugin to change the key several times through out the project.

Ok so then yes you can do that, using one Pitch Correction plug-in for each individual vocal track in your Logic project. I'm not sure what the question is, have you tried automating it and haven't been successful? You can do it either graphically in the Tracks area in Automation view, or you can just set the track to Latch and automate by clicking the notes you want to toggle off and on in the Pitch Correction plug-in. Whichever workflow suits you best.

267985171_pitchcorrectionautomation.png.9e719e719d534f18705eb314bfca41d9.png

I think using one plugin for a bunch of vocal tracks simultaneously is not gonna give you good sounding results.

Especially if the vocals are all different performances.

To achieve the best quality, you need to use Flex Pitch for every single track.

It's tedious, but if you want good-quality tuning, there's no easy fix.

Absolutely not a fan of Logic's pitch correction plugin, there's way better stuff for on-the-fly pitch correction (Waves Tune RT for instance, or the actual Autotune from Antares). Flex Pitch would be best despite my concerns about artefacts it sometimes introduces, but I understand that it's not really feasible to massage every note when you churn out 20 songs per week.

What I do not understand is why you'd want to switch keys in the plugin. Set it to chromatic and you're done. If the vocals are so far off that you even need to force them into key then there's a bigger problem at hand than the simultaneous switching of multiple plugins.

That being said, maybe try a combined approach: chromatic realtime pitch correction on every track and if they veer off into jazz, nudge them back into C&W with Flex Pitch and let realtime PC do the rest.

Thank you all for yours answers.

It's true I could set it to chromatic, but sometimes the singers are so off pitch that it ends up even worse. Selecting the major scale in the key of the song appears to make it a lot better, and this takes a lot less time than flex pitch. @fuzzfilth I know that it means there is a big problem with the singers but I don't have any others choices for now than to go with it.

I've read that when you use the same plugin settings for multiples tracks you coud use a bus. For example, using bus sends to use the same reverb settings for all the vocals. Could something like that work out?

• Solution

No, you need a dedicated plugin for every single voice.

If this is a recurring project, I would set up and use a Template with this patch:

pitch.thumb.gif.956fa02e89ab93aa45ca78606afbbd9f.gif

It works like this:

- The first track Pitch Guide is a MIDI track where you can record the key sequence of the song, C, F, G#, A, D, C as single notes.

- The audio tracks each have a pitch plugin.

- The MIDI track is connected to two Transformers which convert these notes into control events which directly change all connected tracks' pitch plugin root parameter (I chose Logic's PC just for this demo).

Voilà, no messy Automation (changing the root would write the on/off state of every note as Automation), you can control the key from either a recorded track or live on the keyboard. You bring in this week's recordings, put them on 25 prepared tracks and off you go.

Hit me up if you're interested in going that route.

Another solution would be to have multiple Pitch Correction plug-ins on the same channel strip and automate their on/off buttons.

Yes, it would work fine but wouldn't really solve my problem as I would still need to copy all the plugins from the vocal track to all the others vocals tracks. And then if I need to adjust or change something in the plugin, I need to do the change in all the different vocals tracks, and not once. That's specifically what I'm trying to avoid.

And also, the automation of the scale is not so bad, I think it would still be better than using 4 or 5 different plugins in the same channel because you have 4 or 5 different key.

Edited by LoganSulpizio

In the Environment, create a MIDI Instrument, two Monitors and two Transformers from the local New menu and cable them like in the demo. The first Transformer has Note as Condition and filters non-matching events, Operation is Poly-Touch.

69023665_Bildschirmfoto2021-03-02um16_25_52.png.dac20882ccfb54f725bab658c16d395e.png

The second Transformer has All but 0 as Condition and filters non-matching events, Operation is first move Data Byte 1 (what was keyboard note) to Data Byte 2 (will become root note), then subtract 59 to move the playable range to C3 and up. Event type is Fader Cha = 1, Data Byte 1= 16 (this will vary by plugin slot in the channel and by plugin parameter)

1607271697_Bildschirmfoto2021-03-02um16_25_33.png.a02e0fa03ad49c0b7dbeba3c2d33f39d.png

Pull the MIDI instrument into the Main Window to create a track for it. Cable the second Monitor's output to all audio tracks. Save as Template.

P-Press and Poly-Touch are the same. They have renamed it somewhen, god knows why. The actually correct name would be Poly Pressure...

Oh, and the second Transformer's output should be Fader Cha = 2 Data Byte 1 = 16, I messed that up in the description.

Thank you so much, it works great!!