logic selects all regions in a track by default

paco.mx
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

I switched to Logic years ago and the one thing that still annoys me the most by far is this: in many situations, Logic decides to automatically select all regions in a track. This can be devastating. If you are doing some intricate audio editing while zoomed in and Logic decides to suddenly select all regions in the track, you won't notice because you are zoomed all the way in. You then continue your editing, for example, you trim the end of a region, then you do some other stuff...a lot of stuff... eventually you zoom out all the way and you see all your regions have been trimmed. Maybe you have dozens or even hundreds of regions in total...you hit undo several times but it's too late. it happened long ago and you didn't realize it. you either fix all regions manually (ages) or hit undo however many times you need to until the batch trim is undone, losing a lot of work in the process. This has happened to me so many times, especially when I had just switched to Logic (this problem doesn't occur in Pro Tools).

Now what I do to avoid this is to use the keyboard shortcut "deselect all". I use this shortcut obsessively. Before I do any kind of edit to a region (a trim, a fade, a cut, etc.) i hit that shortcut. I don't even use the "save" shortcut nearly as often as the "deselect all" shortcut. And now this problem occurs rarely (when i forget to use that "deselect all" shortcut), but when it does I curse the people at Logic and wish I could ask them "why the hell did you program Logic to select all regions in the track so damn often?"

so here I am, asking you folks to see if any of you suffer from the same frustration... perhaps there is even a setting somewhere which prevents Logic from obsessively selecting all regions in a track.

I can't think of another feature I hate nearly as much as this one!

Go Preferences > General, "Editing" tab, uncheck "Select regions on track selection"

Thanks! I'll definitely try that. I hope it'll also apply to when Logic selects all regions during editing (when I did not select the track). I'll write a reply here to let you guys know how it went