VI Tracks Stopped Recording Unless I Use Punch In/Out

Warrior

I'm not sure what's going on but the project stopped recording VI MIDI.

It will record 1 bar of the count in and then it doesn't save the rest. When I hit the stop button, I'm left with just the one pre-bar.

If I use punch in/out, it will record.

676805091_ScreenShot2021-03-04at1_52_19PM.thumb.png.e5c65ed88b44a15cb624159c88aa0606.png

315610830_ScreenShot2021-03-04at1_51_53PM.thumb.png.b738ae10497f3394dc22d64a843a6f8a.png

Are you playing one single note or do you keep playing new notes in every bar? If you record using the Musical Typing Window does it work as expected?

Playing new notes in each bar.

Musical Typing Window (pencil in MIDI region, correct) works.

Odd! Is this happening if you start a new empty project and load one of Logic's factory patch, say an electric piano patch?

It works fine in a new project.

I started the project in question using a user template. It was working fine and then the issue began.

I just started a new project using that same template and it is working fine (for now).

In the project that has the problem, try to create a new track with a simple electric piano patch and see if it behaves?

It reacts the same way.

I do notice (on the previous and new test track) that as I am recording and the region appears to be advancing and recording, there are no midi notes being displayed. I hear it though.

Ok so for what it's worth it behaves as expected here with the Musical Typing window. I just recorded an 8 bar region and when I pressed stop I got an 8 bar region. I'm not sure why I can't reproduce your issue but I hope it helps in the troubleshooting process. At least we now know it's not a Logic project file corruption or some custom MIDI Environment wiring causing the issue.

Quick Update: I couldn't resolve the issue so I contacted Apple support. They instructed me to restart my computer as a first troubleshooting step (which I had previously done a couple of times already). Of course, this time it worked.

It's like having an issue and when you finally get to see the doctor, the issue is gone.

Quick Update: I couldn't resolve the issue so I contacted Apple support. They instructed me to restart my computer as a first troubleshooting step (which I had previously done a couple of times already). Of course, this time it worked.

It's like having an issue and when you finally get to see the doctor, the issue is gone.

Haha yes that's typical. Well let's just cross fingers the issue won't come back, but let us know if it does.

Haha yes that's typical. Well let's just cross fingers the issue won't come back, but let us know if it does.

Will do!

• 1 month later...
Sorry to hear. I've scanned through this thread and noticed you didn't get the issue in a new project? Only when using a user template? Was the user template created in an earlier Logic version by any chance? This could be the issue.

Actually, I'm experiencing it in other projects as well. Projects that were started from scratch.

I just created a track with Logic's "Bright Suitcase" VI and recorded the performance just fine.

Then I created another track using Alchemy, hit record and thought I was recording about 15 bars. When I stopped recording there was one bar of an empty MIDI region with a single black "x" at the very beginning of the region.

Both were recorded using the same MIDI keyboard.

Looked at your recorded regions and found that there's a huge amount of sysex events recorded, doesn't look normal... These must come from your keyboard or other device connected to your mac ?

Any suggestions on how to determine what's creating the excessive sysex?

So then the issue is coming from your MIDI Keyboard it seems? Which keyboard is that? If you choose Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Bypass All Control Surfaces, does the keyboard behave as expected?

The keyboard will play the VI but there are sounds ocuring without me even touching anything if the track is record armed.

It will still not record MIDI (and the region is cuttoff when I strop recording), unless I use Punch In/Out.

Ok thank you for confirming, I wasn't sure if you had seen my suggestion. No, there's no need do do it one at a time.

Make sure you click the little symbol to the right of the LCD display so that you can see MIDI input monitor and double-check that Logic is actually receiving note in and note off data?

Could you perhaps show an animation or screen capture of Logic during recording and when pressing stop? I use LiceCap to record simple animations: https://www.cockos.com/licecap/

Ok thank you for confirming, I wasn't sure if you had seen my suggestion. No, there's no need do do it one at a time.

Make sure you click the little symbol to the right of the LCD display so that you can see MIDI input monitor and double-check that Logic is actually receiving note in and note off data?

Could you perhaps show an animation or screen capture of Logic during recording and when pressing stop? I use LiceCap to record simple animations: https://www.cockos.com/licecap/

I would send it to but, ironically, it's working fine once again.

I will keep an eye on it and update you with a screen recording as soon as it happens again.