Big Sur update

Maha451

Hi there,

I run an iMac 2019 with Catalina 10.15.4 and Logic Pro 10.5.0

First: is it recommended to upgrade to Big Sur now??

And if I decide to upgrade, should I UPGRADE Logic to 10.6.1 FIRST?...or upgrade my system to Big Sur FIRST???

Regards

Thanks, David.

I am still on Mojave and will be until I am forced to upgrade. Wondering if I should skip Catalina altogether.

I will wait until at least version .4 of Big Sur. Over the years I have noticed that .4 means the kinks are ironed out.(and then the whole thing starts over again...).

Leaving the 32-bit world means $1200 to replace obsolete hardware, so I am not in a hurry.

I liked the shiny pill style(fake 3D) of MacOS best.

Edited by zip

Thanks, David.

I am still on Mojave and will be until I am forced to upgrade. Wondering if I should skip Catalina altogether.

I will wait until at least version .4 of Big Sur. Over the years I have noticed that .4 means the kinks are ironed out.(and then the whole thing starts over again...).

Leaving the 32-bit world means $1200 to replace obsolete hardware, so I am not in a hurry.

I liked the shiny pill style(fake 3D) of MacOS best.

what hardware? the mac itself? (just curious of what you're referring to)...

i've never seen any black & white proof of that (the 'version 4' myth). every version of every OS (beta, or final), has bug fixes, tweaks, and sometimes new bugs. all OSes, at any moment, are a work-in-progress. so you dive in if & when the time is right, and move forward. the kinks are always being ironed out.

still, no harm in waiting (and if '.4' is your moment, then '4' it is).

Metric Halo ULN-8/Metric Halo ULN-2/Color Munki Smile screen calibration tool.

In my experience as a tech support person for pro audio, I can tell you that the amount of MacOS support calls sharply declines after .4 becomes available. For about 2 months everybody is happy, then the next MacOS version is introduced. People will naively install this, buy a new Mac that can't be downgraded, find out firewire or what have you is no longer supported, rinse & repeat.

I could have sworn I just read a post a week or two ago from him saying wait on Big Sur! Well that is actually good news then...!!!

Based on the following list, I'm still waiting for a bit though: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-11-big-sur-compatibility-guide/

I suspect that a lot of the stuff on that list says "limited" because of M1 more so then BigSur, but not entirely sure. I would have to do a deep investigation of many pieces of software in order to find out. I might setup a second partition and try installing BigSur as an experiment soon.

• 2 months later...

Hey everybody,

I administer production Macs for a Logic-based live show that I am not at liberty to upgrade, so I need to keep a copy of 10.4.8 running on my Mac to prepare files for the show (alongside 10.6.2 for my other productions).

Has anyone tried running 10.4.8 under Big Sur?

I’d appreciate any feedback!