Controlling Both sides of a Stereo Pan simultaneously

ralphonz
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

• Solution

I find the Stereo Panner to be quite finicky. Still knowing what to drag helps yielding the desired results... most of the time. :lol:

1. To move the full stereo image left or right, drag the number that appears in the center of the panner up or down.

2. To narrow or widen the stereo image, drag the green ring up or down.

3. To swap left and right, Command-click the panner (the green ring becomes orange when L and R are swapped).

4. Drag the white L and R squares to move only that side of the stereo panner (this works only under certain conditions).

Yes it's a bit annoying to say the least - Ah ha, I need to drag the green ring! Solved.

This was much easier with a control surface, can't wait for my UF8 to arrive.

Why they didn't just make it two pan pots with a link option like protools I'll never know!

Thanks again David :)

One advantage of logic’s stereo pan over two individual is that you can grab it in the middle and move the whole thing. This essentially works like a third (overall) pan knob.

Yes indeed, plus the capability of narrowing or spreading the stereo field while keeping the general direction, or swapping the left and side.

• 4 weeks later...
The edge of the green handle is where that side is panned to.

This 8-)

There are little white handles on either end which essentially represent left and right.

Once you figure out that you can drag and move the green line itself, this GUI is actually pretty nice as others have said :mrgreen:

The edge of the green handle is where that side is panned to.

The question re-worded: What is the pan value of the edge of the green arc?

Working from the other direction…let's say I have a stereo piano and I want it in the center ("0") but I'd like the width of the piano to be specifically between -30 and +30. How do I achieve that exact scenario using the stereo pan?

You want to know how to determine the numerical value of the position of the panned sides? I don’t have an answer to that specifically as I never found a need for it because I mostly just use my ears. But you can use automation to see the value of parameters. Also maybe visible in the event list.

let's say I have a stereo piano and I want it in the center ("0") but I'd like the width of the piano to be specifically between -30 and +30. How do I achieve that exact scenario using the stereo pan?

Do it by ear. Reset the Stereo Pan (Option-click it) then drag the green ring upward to narrow the spread until it sounds how you want it. There's no numerical relationship between the position of the white squares on a Stereo Pan and the position of a Mono Pan or Balance control. The Stereo Pan position is determined by a Pan value (that determines where the center of the Stereo Pan is panned) and a Pan Spread value (that determines how far apart L and R are).

Well, I have been using my ears. I can put it in one position and listen. Then, I can put it in another position and listen to that. Wait, I liked the first one better. Too bad! I don't know quantitatively where it was. Answer: use a plugin.

If what you want is a numeric reference for the position of the Stereo Pan (and don't mind that there's no relationship with Mono Pan positions), then you can go to Automation View, click the Automation parameter pop-up menu, choose Main > Pan Spread adjust Trim field:

1650647269_PanSpread.png.e356aa9fffaac960d2db53ceb2f8f63b.png

the only way i've found to do a gradual swapping of sides is to do the orange ring, pan to center. then do another pass, and, at the desired mid-point, command-click again (bringing me back to the green ring). then i have to manually draw in a 'cleaner' arc.

it seems the mid-point of each line is where the swap happens (but there's nothing in the automation windows to show this). anyway, would love to have a way to do it with less steps (altho it's not that big a deal, i don't do it often). so...... is there an easier way?