What if Apple no longer sells Intel Core Mac's anymore in future?

just20

...and like the move from Motorola to Power PC before that. Every so often, computer manufacturers decide to leave behind legacy architectures in favor of newer, improved designs. That means software publishers have to follow if they want to stay current (or risk being left behind).

"Motorola to Power PC"? david, were you around in the 1930s, when that happened..? :shock:

My concern is If I want to buy a new Mac should I wait for the new M1 Mac or just the current Macs?

Why would you wait? Will future Macs be better spec'd than the current ones? Probably - even likely. But I can tell ya this... the current M1 Macs are an absolute beast of a computer. I'm SUPER SUPER happy with mine.

Tom

I hope that all plug-ins will be ready by the time.

My concern is If I want to buy a new Mac should I wait for the new M1 Mac or just the current Macs?

it's an endless game of catch-up, between apple's OSes, updates... and 3rd-party plugins. for now, there's rosetta2 (for the intel versions). and (hopefully) all developers will step up to the plate (that's happening now, slowly but surely).

always possible that some don't, and some plugins will vanish into the ether.....

Why would you wait? Will future Macs be better spec'd than the current ones? Probably - even likely. But I can tell ya this... the current M1 Macs are an absolute beast of a computer. I'm SUPER SUPER happy with mine.

Tom

Because i'm not really in a big hurry but my iMac is really old now, so soon or late I need a new mac. And that is why I am already thinking about what the best choice will be in the future or as needed. I try to delay buying a new mac as long as possible, but what i fear is when i buy the M1 chip new mac that I won't be able to use all plugins. And if I buy an Intel Core mac that later they no longer support it.

I hope that all plug-ins will be ready by the time.

it's an endless game of catch-up, between apple's OSes, updates... and 3rd-party plugins. for now, there's rosetta2 (for the intel versions). and (hopefully) all developers will step up to the plate (that's happening now, slowly but surely).

always possible that some don't, and some plugins will vanish into the ether.....

Quite a difficult situation actually, Because if I buy later a M1 chip iMac you want that every third party plug-in will work fine.

Edited by just20

Tom

Because i'm not really in a big hurry but my iMac is really old now, so soon or late I need a new mac. And that is why I am already thinking about what the best choice will be in the future or as needed. I try to delay buying a new mac as long as possible, but what i fear is when i buy the M1 chip new mac that I won't be able to use all plugins. And if I buy an Intel Core mac that later they no longer support it.

Quite a difficult situation actually, Because if I buy later a M1 chip you want that every third party plug-in will work fine.

it's always this way with technology moving forward. and we've seen 3rd-party plugins vanish in OS updates thru the intel years.

make a list of your needed plugins. check with the developers; do they have an M1 version? will they?

there's no guarantee that any current software will still be working in 3 years, 5 years. so... we adapt. it's just how it is. and sometimes, we find new & better plugins. and life goes on...

Well, obviously, you should be looking at M1's going forward since that WILL BE all Macs in the near future. Thats a known. Of course, if you don't HAVE to upgrade right now, delaying will give you the best possible chance to have all of your 3rd party plugins working with the silicon machines. Or, at least, the best possible picture of what things look like when it's time to upgrade.

But literally everything that I bought for my windows machine at the end of last year (NI, fabfilter, SSL, Waves, etc) are now working on my M1 machine. And working REALLY REALLY well.

Tom

I want to postpone it as long as possible, but my iMac get's very hot every summer :shock: Fans actually need to be cleaned, and maybe thermal paste. But I don't want to bring my iMac away to people that I don't know. And it's better to do it not myself I think. I can better save that money also for a new iMac.

So far, all of my 3rd party plugins run on my M1 Mini. I expected I'd either have to write thousands in software off or buy updates, but nope. When Apple pulls the plug on Rosetta 2 it may be a problem for me.

The M1 Mini's performance is superior to the iMac specs in my sig with Logic. I bought the Mini for my wife, and have been using it to test Logic and my 3rd party stuff. I'm waiting for the new iMacs because I'm pretty sure they'll be mindboggling, but most importantly, I know that everything will work.

EDIT: I did need to upgrade Melodyne to v5.

Tom

+1

The trick is to buy the new machines quickly after they come out. This way you have the newest for a while and won’t have anxiety because there’s always better faster machines around the corner....

I recently got a new MacBook Air with an M1 chip in it I can tell you this:

My ancient 2009 MacBook Pro 15” was using 100% of CPU power on some projects. The new MacBook Air uses around 3% on the same project....

My solution is to build a Hackintosh. It's good to switch to Windows on the day Intel MAC is not supported by Apple anymore.

useful if you run windows; pointless if not (and, am sure, most ppl here are simply macusers). outside of need (ie windows apps), why complicate things in an already-overcomplicated world?

• 1 month later...
I was reading about Rosetta today. Actually there is no problem when you buy an M1 sillicon iMac right? Because you can still use the old Plug-ins that do not support M1 yet or am I wrong?

Rosetta is meant for that, when the app is non-native or has components inside that are non-native yet, like certain plugins in Logic, you run it in Rosetta.

I was reading about Rosetta today. Actually there is no problem when you buy an M1 sillicon iMac right? Because you can still use the old Plug-ins that do not support M1 yet or am I wrong?

Rosetta is meant for that, when the app is non-native or has components inside that are non-native yet, like certain plugins in Logic, you run it in Rosetta.

Actually works very well. I’m running logic natively on Apple silicon and I have a few plug-ins that are translated or trans coded by Rosetta. No problems so far.

I was so angry at Apple, I had just sold my Mac Classic to get a Color Classic, back in the day. Then the Power PC Macs came out, and I was obsolete. Since I spent so much money on my computer, I couldn't afford another one so soon. At least I didn't have to buy a keyboard or mouse with it, lol. After years adrift in the land of Microsoft, I finally came back. I think I have enough life left in my iMac to last me until I can get a Mac with the second gen M chip.

I personally think we have some time to wait before it will make much sense to transition ourselves to ARM based Mac for daw use, except for lighter duty scrnarios. Apple is still selling expensive intel macpros so I don’t think it makes sense to think intel Mac will be obsolete any time soon. I personally will not be even thinking about an ARM Mac until they come out with a true macpro based on ARM, probably something like in 2025 or thereabouts.

The unfortunate dilemma is that my cMP will probably not be able to run the next version of Logicpro which I expect to require Big Sur. So we will soon enter into a period where it will be awkward to wait for better hardware while the older intel hardware is dropped from apple’s support list one by one. I expect this period to last several years, me personally I will stretch out the life of my cMP as long as I can in order to get next gen macpro in a few years. I do not think M2 will be as advanced as some seem to hope. It’s going to be a few years waiting for the serious macs on ARM. They will come eventually, but not this year and probably not next year either IMHO

I personally think we have some time to wait before it will make much sense to transition ourselves to ARM based Mac for daw use, except for lighter duty scrnarios. Apple is still selling expensive intel macpros so I don’t think it makes sense to think intel Mac will be obsolete any time soon. I personally will not be even thinking about an ARM Mac until they come out with a true macpro based on ARM, probably something like in 2025 or thereabouts.

The unfortunate dilemma is that my cMP will probably not be able to run the next version of Logicpro which I expect to require Big Sur. So we will soon enter into a period where it will be awkward to wait for better hardware while the older intel hardware is dropped from apple’s support list one by one. I expect this period to last several years, me personally I will stretch out the life of my cMP as long as I can in order to get next gen macpro in a few years. I do not think M2 will be as advanced as some seem to hope. It’s going to be a few years waiting for the serious macs on ARM. They will come eventually, but not this year and probably not next year either IMHO

i dunno; if the macbook pros are all ARM by july, i'd imagine an ARM mac pro happens by year's end, or early 2022. rosetta 2 perhaps takes us to 2023-24. newer versions of apple pro apps (logic, final cut) require ARM sometime next year, but, as always.... our intel macs, and current pro app versions continue to work.

whatever happens, things will change (as they did with the move to intel). we survived that, and prospered... and will again.